Question BIOS does not recognize all the RAM ?

emoxam

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Someday (i don't know exactly when) My Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 MB stops to recognizes all RAM installed. But cpu-z does. Even memtest see 4 sticks, but summary show only 2 of them. I try to check sticks one by one, they all working, but somehow when i insert one, the others disappear.
I updated the bios, i reseted the bios many times, but it wasn't helpful.

I have 4 stick - 2x2GB abd 2x4GB.

one stick is:
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/High-Performance-Memory/Vengeance®-Low-Profile-—-8GB-Dual-Channel-DDR3-Memory-Kit/p/CML8GX3M2A1600C9#tab-tech-specs

other sticks are:

On the site i see identical specs, but cpu-z shows that sticks have different timings...
Setting lower mem freq doesn't help.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Check the motherboard's User Manual for supported RAM modules and RAM configurations.

Likewise check the manufacturer's website for any updates or changes.

Overall, RAM modules should be from matched sets sold as a kit to work together.

Mixed and matched RAM modules may work together but be problematic in any number of ways.

Reactions: lynx1021

emoxam

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Motheboard Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Bios v2.30
CPU Xeon E3 1245v2
Windows 10 21H1 But it doesn't matter unless BIOS doesn't see all the memory sticks.

This memory worked 13 years, and one day stopped. There is nothing about combability.
Bios doesn't show all 4 modules, it shows only a half of it.
But i can change modules from 1 and 3 slots to 2 2 and 4 and it will work, i can use one by one and it will work, i can use one pair of sticks or other in any slots and it will work, but all 4 sticks in all 4 slots stoped to work.
When i insert stick in slot 4 the stick in slot 3 disappears, an the same happens with slots 1 and 2. Seems that stick in 2 and 4 slots killing sticks in 1 and 3, and so only 2 of 4 sticks at once.
I tried to update bios to the same version, i reset bios few times - no luck.