[SOLVED] BIOS doesn't allow allocation of VRAM

Dec 9, 2021
Hello, not sure if there is a solution to this but I figure you guys are my last best hope. I bought a couple of HP Pavilion desktop PCs a couple of years ago for my sons. I am hoping to play a new game with them that requires 2GB graphics card. The model number on them is 590-p0077c. These computers were not assembled by HP so HP doesn't recognize the serial numbers and cannot provide any support. Though the Sunflower motherboard has a slot for graphics card, the tower is small, the power supply is 180W and cannot be upgraded so I can't install a new card. My understanding is that the integrated graphics card can perform well and should meet the requirements if 2GB is allocated to the VRAM. I have upgraded the RAM to 20GB so I have plenty of memory for this. My problem is the firmware that controls the BIOS is limited and doesn't allow me to change the allocation from 1GB to 2GB. Here is my post on the game forum: Farming Simulator Game Forum. That post has pictures that show how the game is rendering and how my graphics card is performing when I run the game. I have tried allocating more memory to VRAM in Windows 10 to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion of a possible solution short of buying new PCs?

Solution
If I find that my system is drawing low wattage, I am thinking about trying to fit this card in. I am looking at the small size and relatively low power requirements (19W).
VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 (DVI-I, HDMI, VGA) Graphics Card - 900861,Black/Red

That would be a very poor idea. You'll have more VRAM, but you'll have that VRAM on a GPU that can't run anything. The integrated graphics in a 2200G are several orders of magnitude more powerful than the HD 5450. It's an ancient non-gaming GPU, made so that people without integrated graphics can use their office PCs.

Not using a hard drive saves very little power.

In addition, the problem isn't simply enough wattage, it's enough quality...

DSzymborski

Titan
Generally, I'm not sure you actually have any option here if there's truly no way to do it in a limited BIOS. You handcuffed yourself a bit here with the choice in purchase a couple years ago; OEM basic use PCs like these are generally poor options for things like upgrades.

Dec 9, 2021
Can you show any photos of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link).

Generally you'd have to replace PSU with higher wattage model and install a graphics card.
If pc case is too small, then new case also necessary.

This is an intriguing idea. I know that the case on this little Pavilion is way to small do do anything much with it but I guess I could consider buying a case, higher wattage power supply and graphics card and then bringing the motherboard, SSD, HHD and RAM over. I found a case on Amazon for $50, and a couple of 500W power supplies for $40, I don't really know what graphics card would be compatible with this motherboard and most affordable but I don't need anything high powered at this point. Just 2GB. I know this would make a weak and goofy gaming computer but I figure that the case and power supply would be adequate if later we decide to put a new motherboard in and the SSD and possibly the DRAM would still be fine to migrate later. I have never tried to build a computer before, but the ease of adding the M.2 SSD and DRAM has my confidence up. Do you have any different specific recommendations for me? What card should I consider putting in at this time? I am trying to do this as low-cost as possible because, if successful on one, I would be doing the same thing for a 2nd computer.

Dec 9, 2021
I would certainly not make any upgrade that used a cheap $20 "500W" "power supply."
Cooler Master Elite 500W Ver.3 - ATX Power Supply Quiet 120mm Fan PCI-E Support = $40

Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W = $40

Do these look ok?

InvalidError

Titan
Increasing the amount of system memory reserved for the IGP at boot will not make the IGP perform any better than it would by setting the BIOS amount to the minimum possible and letting drivers allocate system memory on an as-needed basis since it all comes from the same memory pool.

The only benefit to reserving more system memory for the IGP from BIOS is fooling games that complain about too little dedicated memory.

DSzymborski

Titan
Cooler Master Elite 500W Ver.3 - ATX Power Supply Quiet 120mm Fan PCI-E Support = $40

Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W = $40

Do these look ok?

Depends what kind of GPU you might put in someday. Only for very basic ones that don't require supplementary power; these are both quite low quality. I wouldn't even put a 75W GPU like a 1050 Ti in there.

Dec 9, 2021
I just ordered a wattage meter. I am going to test this. Check out this post on the HP forum from a guy who tried upgrading his PSU but ran into compatibility issues with the HP Sunflower motherboard. He couldn't get a compatible replacement PSU, so he did an output test on his system and found out that he doesn't need to upgrade his PSU to run it with a dedicated graphics card. Thought you might find this interesting. I will let you know what I find out once I have the meter.

Dec 9, 2021
If I find that my system is drawing low wattage, I am thinking about trying to fit this card in. I am looking at the small size and relatively low power requirements (19W).
VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 (DVI-I, HDMI, VGA) Graphics Card - 900861,Black/Red

Dec 9, 2021
This might be a fools errand and wishful thinking but I am hopeful. I figure I am saving a little power by running from the SSD and only using the HDD for storage. I am going to disconnect the optical drive if I have to to save a little more power.

DSzymborski

Titan

That would be a very poor idea. You'll have more VRAM, but you'll have that VRAM on a GPU that can't run anything. The integrated graphics in a 2200G are several orders of magnitude more powerful than the HD 5450. It's an ancient non-gaming GPU, made so that people without integrated graphics can use their office PCs.

Not using a hard drive saves very little power.

In addition, the problem isn't simply enough wattage, it's enough quality wattage.

You can probably stuff in a low-profile, single slot GT 1030. Less than that will be pointless and more than that, you'll need more complete overhauls due to your choice of hard-to-upgrade office machines. There's no problem that would be fixed by any of the things you want to do.

Last edited:
Solution