Bios flash needed from Kaby Lake to Skylake?

Nomeon

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Hi guys! Yes you're reading that right, from Kaby Lake to Skylake... I have a pentium G4560, but I can get a 6600K for pretty cheap. I do have a B250m board at the moment, but I will upgrade later to a z270 one for the full potential. My only question is, can i just put the skylake one in, or do i need to reset the bios to skylake cpu's or something? Because I needed to flash for the Pentium. Please help!

Solution
You won't have to flash the BIOS, because a BIOS able to talk to Kaby Lake is also able to talk to Skylake (whereas the other way around needed an update, as you know), as SL is older than KL. Enjoy the 6600K, even if not overclocked (yet!)
You won't have to flash the BIOS, because a BIOS able to talk to Kaby Lake is also able to talk to Skylake (whereas the other way around needed an update, as you know), as SL is older than KL. Enjoy the 6600K, even if not overclocked (yet!)

Solution

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017
Yeah the B250 board is a Kaby Lake board so it'll support Skylake out of the box seeing as Skylake is a generation older. Now if it was a H110 board and you were opting for a Kaby Lake CPU, yes in that case it would require a bios update.

Nomeon

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Thanks for the help! Will probably perform better than the G4560 I hope hahaha ;)