Question BIOS flash, USB2.0 or USB3.0?! this is driving me insane!

Falcore01

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
so i wanted to update my x570 Aorus pro wifi bios to support my 5900x cpu but then i got stumped by literally a million conflicting statements about using a USB3.0 or 2.0 flashdrive! i HAVE a 32gb usb3.0 flashdrive, but right at the last minute i read that your mobo may not read a 3.0...so i ordered 2 usb2.0 sticks, waited all week, they just got here and they're both bloody USB3.0!!! so which is it? this is driving me nuts! lol

Are you using it now with another CPU? If you are, just use the in-BIOS utility (Q-Flash) to update it. You can use any USB port for that, and as well even a hard drive.

The port you use for a BIOS FlashBack update is USB 2 so it will access the stick as USB 2. The thing that matters is it be formatted correctly, with the file extracted from the archive, named correctly and in the correct folder (root).

Reactions: Falcore01

Falcore01

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
ah ok. thanks. makes sense. yes i have a working system , x570 with a 3700x already installed. so i could just use the @bios update thing or use the flashdrive usb3.0 if the system is already running. format FAT32...i see. but for say, just a plain mobo hooked up to a psu, to do the bios Q flash it's best to use a USB2.0 because it'll read that before POST...?