know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Please for the love of god will somebody tell me how to update my BIOS, i can tell you almost any bit of information about my computer i just cannot find where i can get a BIOS update for my computer, i'm at the point where i'm about to tear my entire head of hair out. thank you.

Why do you want to update the bios? If you've never done it before, it may not be worth the risk. Only valid reason is bsod's or not posting with a cpu upgrade. If you do it, use the windows version and disable the "boot block" settings in the bios, plus any firewall settings in windows. I've used msi's live update, and it works pretty well. List your board model number and bios version for more help. The current bios version for your board is listed at the top of the post screen. Use the "pause" key to write it down.

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Board: GA-8I915PM

BIOS version: 08/30/2005-i915P-6A79VG0DC-00 (i think)

Haven't used gigabyte's bios updates. But be advised that the 915 chipset is too old for any of the newer socket 775 core2 duos or quads. None of them work with such an old board. The voltage specs are different, and no bios update will change that.

^+1

If you want to update the BIOS anyways go to Gigabytes site, put in your motherboard info download the BIOS, save it to a FAT32 USB drive, restart go into the BIOS and select the option to upgrade the BIOS.

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
i have tried gigabyte's site but they do not list the motherboard model, i think it is due to the bios type being an award systems type, it seems the only company that updates the award systems bios is the company that produces the BIOSagent requiring a fee to update :pfff: would anybody know a way around this because it seems a bit extorcionate to charge for bios updates

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
also on the matter of compatibility, i am still looking at a pentium line processor, but the processor is dual core, why wouldnt it work?

Try looking under "archives" at gigabytes website if you don't find a page for your motherboard and the bios updates. Use their global website. And as I said, newer Intel cpus have different voltage requirements. That's why Intel is constantly updating their motherboard chipsets. It's impossible to update a motherboard chipset. It's soldered onto the board.

know-not94

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
so upgrading the cpu would mean getting a whole new mobo. alright then i think i'll leave this one to rest then. The main reason i wanted to update the BIOS was i thought i could replace the CPU, nevermind then. Thanks to everyone that helped, in the end i think i'll just get a new motherboard.

trickygibbo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hey,

Do you still have this board, I hope so.

I have just acquired one, but the BIOS is FUBAR. Can you extract me a copy of your BIOS and post me a link to download from somewhere please