[SOLVED] BIOS identifies DRAM, but does not use it

Feb 3, 2022
I’ve just upgraded my CPU (from Intel Core i5-6600K to i7 7700K). After installation, my DRAM (HyperX Fury DDR4 2133Mhz 4 GB x 4) is still identified by the system, but only half of the DRAM is used. I’ve read on several forums that this is a known problem, but I’ve not found a solution. The DRAM is supported by the new CPU, I’m using the latest BIOS firmware and the CPU is working fine according to Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. I’ve tried loosening the cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212), cleaning and replacing the DRAM, enabling XMP (doesn't boot), resetting CMOS and using the memOK on the motherboard, but the problem still remains. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Screenshot of BIOS: View: https://imgur.com/a/mTMOwK2

Other Specs:
Asus Z170 deluxe Socket-1151
Corsair RM750
RTX 3060 Ti MSI Gaming

Solution
I tried the CMOS reset with no succsess. However, I got a suggestion from a reddit user at r/pcmasterrace. Flashed the BIOS with the same firmware a second time, and it solved the problem :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing. While the CMOS battery is out, press and hold down the power button on the case(if the innards are not breadboarded) for 30 seconds to drain any residual power on the system. See if that helps. If it doesn't, try and backup all critical content from your OS drive, then proceed to reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer.

Speaking of which, what OS are you working with? If Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? Age of the PSU in your build?

Feb 3, 2022
Thank you for your reply! I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get home. I'm using Win10. I'll check version. The PSU is from december 2015. I had no problems with the older CPU.

Feb 3, 2022
I tried the CMOS reset with no succsess. However, I got a suggestion from a reddit user at r/pcmasterrace. Flashed the BIOS with the same firmware a second time, and it solved the problem :)

Solution