Question BIOS inaccessible --- laptop only boots to boot manager ?

May 11, 2022
I recently came across a Gateway NE56R41u. It ran just fine, I formatted the HDD and tried to reinstall Windows 8 via bootable USB. After formatting, the laptop ONLY boots straight into Boot Manager but does not recognize the HDD (or USB for that matter). It will start to load the Windows installation but goes VERY slow (15 or 20 minutes) but will immediately restart once the windows installation finally loads.

Here's the kicker... and what is absolutely foreign to me. I CANNOT access BIOS. I have tried every key combination known to man. If I hold escape (the only key that has ANY effect), it will just hold on the Gateway logo indefinitely (won't get into boot mgr). I have formatted the HDD multiple times in different configurations (UEFI, GPT), Rebuilt the boot rec, etc etc etc to no avail. I have tried multiple different HDD's and SSD's, nothing will get recognized. I have tried installing Windows from another computer on the HDD, nothing. I have tried Ubuntu, nothing.

I am at wits end and I have NO idea where to go from here. I was just going to use this laptop (as it's so old) as a console for my home lab setup. Whyyyyyy can I not get into BIOS?!

(FORGOT to mention I removed and replaced the CMOS battery to reset BIOS, still nada. The only other logical step I could see is ordering a new BIOS chip and replacing it but that's something I'd rather avoid)