[SOLVED] BIOS looping

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Okay so, i literally just unplugged an old hard drive and plugged in a slightly less old hard drive in its place. Now i get boot looping regardless of whether the new drive is plugged in or not. Ive tried boot overriding my os drive. Ive tried resitting every single sata power and data cable on my 1 hard drive and two ssd's. My board is detecting all my drives as usual, and even the one that caused the problem in the first place when i have it plugged in. Absolutely no luck. Its an gigabyte ultra z390. I am 100 percent clueless as to what else to do and i have not an idea as to what that hard drive could have done to my computer to lock it to bios. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes that is your problem, the EFI System partition is what you boot from.
You must have had the drive plugged in when you installed the OS to your other drive; Windows does that kind of nutty thing.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
plug back in the old hard drive?
The old hard drive was empty in the first place. Was making pretty nasty noises so i had wiped it a few weeks ago to keep it deactivated. I tried it anyways and..wait what the [language]. Why did that work????? The drive is EMPTY, its not spinning up, its not my OS drive. That fixes one problem but causes another. Why do i need this hard drive plugged in thats not even being used to get out of bios loop??????

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
check it in disk management to make sure it really is empty.
The only thing thats on it is a recovery partition and a efi system partition, but other than 600mb worth of that, its empty. But obviously if one of those is causing the problem, i probably need them. So i probably shouldnt go around deleting them. So what now?

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Yes that is your problem, the EFI System partition is what you boot from.
You must have had the drive plugged in when you installed the OS to your other drive; Windows does that kind of nutty thing.
Sweet. Well now how do i fix it? I have my OS on an evo. Im assuming i cant just move it can i..?

EDIT: Fixed it with this

Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation media.
  • On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
  • Run the following commands at the command prompt.
diskpart
list disk
select disk #
Note: Select the disk where you want to add the EFI System partition.
list partition
select partition #
Note: Select the Windows OS partition (# number) or your data partition.
shrink desired=100
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32
assign letter=s
list partition
list volume
Note: Note the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed.
exit

bcdboot X:\windows
/s S:
Note: Replace "X" with the volume letter of the Windows OS partition.

BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows partition to the EFI System partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

Remove the Windows installation media and restart the computer into your BIOS settings and set the SSD as the First Boot Device.

Last edited: