BIOS need's recover/update, But keyboard not working

jnmk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi Guys,

Am using an ASUS H170I PRO/CSM motherboard with intel xenon processor. Recently, something happened to my BIOS and the system never booted. The boot screen shows

"
Enter setup to recover BIOS
Keyboard Not detected
<something about RAID configuration for SATA>
Press F1 to enter setup

"

Things I tried :
1. Removing CMOS battery to clear settings
2. Using MS-DOS bootable USB(with bupdater and Lates BIOS file) to update the BIOS. Since the Boot order setting was not in favour of USB, it didnt boot.

Some forum asks me to use jumper pins (3 pin) to clear BIOS. But I couldnt find the 3 Pin jumper anywhere on the board that says CLRTC. What I got is a two pin jumper and a 4 pin jumper with plastic clutch written CLRTC next to it. Where is that 3 pin jumper located in ASUS H170I PRO/CSN motherboard ?
Please guide me on any other methods to update/recover my BIOS .

Chris Houston

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
You can do the jumper method but if you removed the CMOS battery that should have worked. Did you disconnect the power to the system first? If not that would be your problem. Disconnect the PSU, then remove the CMOS battery and leave for 10 minutes and that should reset CMOS.

jnmk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi jimthenagual,
Thanks for your reply. I tried doing as the manual says but the problem persists. Still I am getting the same issue.
I even tried swapping the BIOS chip from another Board(same model) but the system was rebooting itself with a beep sound and blank screen. Do you have any other perspective on the Issue ?

jnmk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I tried removing power supply and CMOS battery and left it idle for 15 mins or more. But of no use. BIOS IC was removable (shown in PDF attached by jimthenagual) and so i swapped it from another MB of same type

Chris Houston

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
Was there any issues with the system prior to the failed boot? There is a connection on the motherboard for a PS/2 keyboard. Might be worth picking one up and seeing if it will recognise it. From experience PS/2 keyboards are nearly always identified while there may be no support for USB in your Mobos current state. Failing that might be one to RMA.

jnmk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
there was no notable issues prior to this. i ll try it out with a PS/2 keyboard like you suggested. if you have any other suggestions, please update me. Thanks Chris

Chris Houston

Distinguished
May 11, 2013
No worries, difficult one. Sounds like a corrupt bios and therefore should be fixable if you can flash it. I don't see anything in the manual about replacing the bios chip? Its odd that you followed the Bios recovery steps and EZ Flash utility didn't automatically boot up and allow you to restore it.

Have you done a physical check of the board for any obvious scratch marks or blown or bulging capacitors. I suspect if this was the problem it wouldn't boot but might be worth doing. Have you swapped any components that may have caused physical damage?