Question Bios not detecting m.2 drive as boot device

Apr 18, 2024
I have been running my windows 10 os on my m.2 drive for some time. Last night my niece did not plug in the power cord properly when booting the system. The boot failed and she says it showed a screen saying something about some settings being reset or something. Now when I boot it goes to the screen to select boot device, but the windows drive is not an option. There is an option that says windows boot manager (on /dev/sdb2), but when selected it says "error:no such device:01AB-7300" and "error: disk 'hd1,gpt2' not found'". I booted into Linux to look at the drive and saw that the drive was still visible and all the files were still intact. When I press f11 on boot to select boot device manually the drive does appear as an option and when selected it does successfully boot into windows and is fully usable. However when going into bios to select boot order it is no longer showing as an option.

What can I do to have it showing up in the bios boot options again and restore it as the first boot option? I don't want to have to spam f11 on every boot to manually select it.

I'm on an MSI carbon motherboard.

Last edited:
  1. Go to Advanced > Storage Configuration or Storage > NVMe Configuration or NVMe RAID Configuration in the BIOS settings.
  2. Select the NVMe SSD you want to enable and set it to Enabled or Auto.
  3. Save changes and exit the firmware.
  4. Make sure your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS with NVMe support and check if there’s an update available.
  5. Set SATA Mode to AHCI.