[SOLVED] Bios raid set up

Feb 26, 2020
I’m trying to create a Raid 10 volume using LSI 2308 Config utility in BIOS setup. Does the process of creating the volume also format all four drives or must i do a low level format first? I understand it takes about 5 days.

thanks.

Solution
The 2308 utility seems to allow me to exit after starting the build without warning that the process will stop. Doing so takes it back through POST and boots into windows from my SSD system drive which is not part of the array. In fact the SSD drive is cotrolled by the 6 channel Sata controller where as the Raid is on the 8 channel SAS controller.

When I go to disk management the array is displayed with a r3asonable sounding capacity of 5.45 TB. That’s what I would expect from a 12 TB Raid 10. The space s shown as unallocated. So if I wait 5 days for lithe build to complete, then I should be able to initialize the volume there?

Thanks for your reply.

So I looked again through the manual (its been a while lol) and theres...
Feb 26, 2020
purpose is what you would expect. Mass storage on home network. I’ve used Raid 10 for years, suffered three drive failures and always able to rebuild. It’s fast, redundant, and reliable. Building another in a Workstation box. This is a 12TB array.

Feb 26, 2020
purpose is what you would expect. Mass storage on home network. I’ve used Raid 10 for years, suffered three drive failures and always able to rebuild. It’s fast, redundant, and reliable. Building another in a Workstation box. This is a 12TB array.

Also. Is there a utility to monitor the build progress from Win10? My OS is on an SSD drive and thus independent of the array.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you're building the array through the BIOS there is no way to boot Windows up, even if there was Windows wouldn't be able to monitor it.

You don't need to format it, when configuring the array and building it, it will wipe and combine the drives, it should give you the option to format. Even if it doesn't once its built you can just format it from Windows which will see it as 1 drive.

Feb 26, 2020
If you're building the array through the BIOS there is no way to boot Windows up, even if there was Windows wouldn't be able to monitor it.

You don't need to format it, when configuring the array and building it, it will wipe and combine the drives, it should give you the option to format. Even if it doesn't once its built you can just format it from Windows which will see it as 1 drive.

The 2308 utility seems to allow me to exit after starting the build without warning that the process will stop. Doing so takes it back through POST and boots into windows from my SSD system drive which is not part of the array. In fact the SSD drive is cotrolled by the 6 channel Sata controller where as the Raid is on the 8 channel SAS controller.

When I go to disk management the array is displayed with a r3asonable sounding capacity of 5.45 TB. That’s what I would expect from a 12 TB Raid 10. The space s shown as unallocated. So if I wait 5 days for lithe build to complete, then I should be able to initialize the volume there?

Thanks for your reply.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thanks for your reply.

So I looked again through the manual (its been a while lol) and theres nothing to say whether it stops or not. An easy way to check would be to exit, reboot and go back into the BIOS to see if its still running.

You can also download the LSI 2308 MegaRAID utility for Windows it should be available on your boards driver page, which lets you build the array in Windows and obviously monitor while it builds.

Once the build is complete Windows sees it as that unallocated drive, and you can initialize/format from there. You can also do this from MegaRAID.

Solution