[SOLVED] Bios shows dual-channel memory but only show 1 16gb stick

Jul 26, 2021
Hello everyone,

I`ve been using this system for 2 years for editing purposes.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x
ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
Corsair vengeance 16gb x 2 DDR4
AMD Radeon VII
Windows 10 Pro

my problem is as the title said, so in BIOS says dual-channel memory but only 1 out of 2 sticks detected. lets say my first ram stick is A and second is B
at first my ram position was
DIMA2 A
DIMB2 B
i tried all of this :
  1. switch ram position from A to B and B to A (doesnt work)
  2. switch from DIMA2 DIMB2 to DIMA1 DIMB1 (still doesnt work)
  3. upgraded my bios from 1.10 to 1.30 (doesnt work)
  4. tried to boot up with only each of the stick (with A my pc wont boot up, with B my pc boots up)

so after i tried number 4 i concluded that my ram is dead or idk what its called.
but i have the weird parts
  1. my ram RGB still on both of them
  2. CPU-Z detect both of my ram
  3. BIOS detect dual channel but only shows 1 ram 16gb memory
  4. Windows only detect 16gb out of 32gb

so, is this software issue or my ram is just dead? if my ram is dead why the rgb is still on?
if anyone have possible fixes please let me know and sorry for my bad english.

Solution
If RAM A fails in another pc (trusting the that module is supported RAM and properly installed per that motherboard's requirements) then I would conclude that the module has failed.

Yes - Replace both. You will need to obtain a new RAM kit with matched modules for dual channel use.

Be sure to verify that whatever RAM modules being considered for purchase are indeed supported by your X399 motherboard.

Go to Asrock's website and verify support via the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also a good idea to visit two or three RAM manufacturer's websites to gain a consensus on supported RAM. I.e., determine if the RAM manufacturers' modules are listed for the X399. Do be careful about such listings. Look for...

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

As I understand your post it appears that RAM A has failed.

RGB is purely a decorative function and not at all (as far as I know) an indication of a "healthy" RAM module.

However, if RGB is off that could indicate no power to the RAM slot but, just as likely, no power to the RGB LED's. Yet the RAM module could continue to work.

If possible test RAM A in another computer.

= = = =

Also: This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X399 Phantom Gaming 6.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Double check your RAM installations per physically numbered Page 1 - 21 and 1-22.

Ensure that you are indeed using a supported RAM installation configuration. Appears to be the case but check again.

Jul 26, 2021
Your English is fine.

As I understand your post it appears that RAM A has failed.

RGB is purely a decorative function and not at all (as far as I know) an indication of a "healthy" RAM module.

However, if RGB is off that could indicate no power to the RAM slot but, just as likely, no power to the RGB LED's. Yet the RAM module could continue to work.

If possible test RAM A in another computer.

= = = =

Also: This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X399 Phantom Gaming 6.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Double check your RAM installations per physically numbered Page 1 - 21 and 1-22.

Ensure that you are indeed using a supported RAM installation configuration. Appears to be the case but check again.

i see, i thought RGB can be an indication if a ram is dead or not.
if i try RAM A in other pc and it turns out cant boot (single channel) so the conclusion is RAM A really failed?
if i want to replace the ram should i just replace only one or replace them both?

yes, it is correct motherboard.
just now ive put my ram as the user manual instructed but still RAM A not detected in BIOS.

BIOS Screenshot

Ralston18

Titan
If RAM A fails in another pc (trusting the that module is supported RAM and properly installed per that motherboard's requirements) then I would conclude that the module has failed.

Yes - Replace both. You will need to obtain a new RAM kit with matched modules for dual channel use.

Be sure to verify that whatever RAM modules being considered for purchase are indeed supported by your X399 motherboard.

Go to Asrock's website and verify support via the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Also a good idea to visit two or three RAM manufacturer's websites to gain a consensus on supported RAM. I.e., determine if the RAM manufacturers' modules are listed for the X399. Do be careful about such listings. Look for confirmations/consensus.

Solution
Jul 26, 2021

Also a good idea to visit two or three RAM manufacturer's websites to gain a consensus on supported RAM. I.e., determine if the RAM manufacturers' modules are listed for the X399. Do be careful about such listings. Look for confirmations/consensus.

is it possible to do such called "reflow" to failed lastgen ram especially with rgb on it?

thanks for all the anwers and guidance sir.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"is it possible to do such called "reflow" to failed lastgen ram especially with rgb on it? "

If by "reflow" you mean heating the RAM in an oven or with a solder gun in hopes of securing some loosened solder connections - my response is no.

That said, I will defer to someone who has successfully (?) done such things.

For myself though, I would not trust any thus "repaired" RAM modules. Some catastrophic failure with sparks and smoke would be unlikely.

However, a subsequent RAM failure during an upgrade or data backup - that could be much more of a bad ending....