[SOLVED] Bios splash screen not displaying after GPU change

Jul 31, 2019
Hello all,

So I have recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 660TI to a sapphire RX580 Nitro+ as I got a decent deal, and I was more than due an upgrade. After installing it the bios splash screen is completly unviewable, and I cannot force it through. It's a mixture of green, pink, white and blue fractured lines. What is strange is after 5-10 seconds the system boots up as normal.

I have tested the card with games such as warhammer total war 2, as well as furmark which it has passed and ran smoothly without issue. I took the card back out and put the 660 TI back in, and the bios showed up straight away on start up.

• I have updated the bios
  • I have reseated the graphics card a few times, and tested both bios as it has duel bios
  • I have deleted all the previous nvidia drivers and installed all AMD drivers (Not that that makes a change for bios errors)

Not sure what to do next but send it back and try another one...

System:

CPU - AMD 1500x
Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350
Ram - Ballistix sport 2666 2 x 8gb
Power - corsair 550

Solution
@Hurrell Try hitting <delete> during startup and see if that gets you into BIOS (some people say just hold it down ... I like to hit it about 1/second).

The new UEFI BIOS does a lot more than the old style BIOS. I wonder if it is using some legacy code at startup that worked fine with 660 Ti, but not the RX580. Resetting the BIOS might correct this and the easy way is to pull the battery.
  • Shutdown the computer and pull the power plug (or switch off PSU).
  • Open the case and remove the battery (pg 17 of your manual). You may need to remove the GPU to get to it.
  • Wait a couple minutes.
  • Reinstall the battery.
  • Plug the computer back in and turn it on.
This will reset the BIOS and hopefully the computer will...
@Hurrell I assume you are using a full screen splash screen ... have you tried going to a more basic splash screen (under the BIOS tab in BIOS, Full Screen LOGO Show = disable).

You can also try disabling Fast Boot. You can enable it again if you get it working.

Whatever is going on, it is a hardware incompatibility between your BIOS and video card. Seems that card is working fine. Returning the card will probably not fix it (sure, it might, but I doubt it).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
@Hurrell I assume you are using a full screen splash screen ... have you tried going to a more basic splash screen (under the BIOS tab in BIOS, Full Screen LOGO Show = disable).

You can also try disabling Fast Boot. You can enable it again if you get it working.

Whatever is going on, it is a hardware incompatibility between your BIOS and video card. Seems that card is working fine. Returning the card will probably not fix it (sure, it might, but I doubt it).

Hello Anotherdrew,

Thank you for your response!

So i changed the GPU out and swtiched the BIOS screen logo to the more basic version. It's a lot less of a graphical problem now, however the screen flashes between a white and grey, still no bios menu after clicking F12 multiple times at boot.

I havent got fast boot enabled

When I was looking through reviews and forums before buying it this didnt seem to be a problem, but your right it has to be incompatible....Dont want to keep swapping GPU's just to visit the bios, as fresh installs and tweaks will be a pain.

If I was to send it back and get another GPU, what would you recommend?

@Hurrell Try hitting <delete> during startup and see if that gets you into BIOS (some people say just hold it down ... I like to hit it about 1/second).

The new UEFI BIOS does a lot more than the old style BIOS. I wonder if it is using some legacy code at startup that worked fine with 660 Ti, but not the RX580. Resetting the BIOS might correct this and the easy way is to pull the battery.
  • Open the case and remove the battery (pg 17 of your manual). You may need to remove the GPU to get to it.
  • Wait a couple minutes.
  • Reinstall the battery.
This will reset the BIOS and hopefully the computer will start normally. Both the video card and motherboard are popular models, but this does not seem to be a common problem. That's why I think it must be a BIOS setting and hopefully resetting it will fix it.

Solution
Jul 31, 2019

• Wait a couple minutes.
  • Reinstall the battery.
This will reset the BIOS and hopefully the computer will start normally. Both the video card and motherboard are popular models, but this does not seem to be a common problem. That's why I think it must be a BIOS setting and hopefully resetting it will fix it.

Hi Anotherdrew,

So I have done as you said and the BIOS did reset, but the screen still keeps flashing when the rx580 is installed. Plugged the 660 ti back in and no issues seeing it. I did a lot of google searching for similar issues today, but I havent been able to find an exact like for like issue, as you said this looks to be an uncommon issue.

Thinking of sending it back and getting another graphics card with similar stats like the GTX 1660. Let me know if you can think of any other fix ideas, if not I will start the returns process with Amazon :(