Question Bios to UEFI switch?

May 16, 2020
Hi there, I’m not sure if this is the right thread to be on sorry, I have an old acer aspire laptop that just became slow as anything since the switch from windows 7 to 10 so I decided to remove windows all together and give Linux a try on it and it was great again.

I then discovered you can run Android OS on it as well which is even better (for me anyway) I can get certain OS’s to load from usb via the bios menu but the one I really want is OpenThos which is a mix of Linux and Android on the same OS But it can only be installed via UEFI.

I’ve looked into my bios menu and it says under the boot options that it’s a “legacy pci device” and has no option to turn on/off UEFI? Would I be correct in thinking that a fresh install of Windows would give me the option to turn on both Legacy and UEFI in the options when it installs or is it something only certain computers are capable of?

It currently has Android x86 installed on it but I can switch back to Ubuntu via the live usb and a Timeshift backup if that makes any difference?

That's a BIOS option and happens before the OS is involved. It can make a difference in which devices can function on that computer.
But it's about how the MB communicates with the hardware. If the option isn't there then you don't have it. It can't be added later if it isn't there. Most UEFI computers can disable it to run older hardware, But Legacy systems are Legacy only.