BIOS UEFI not displaying. Black screen with a green cursor.

TheTBob

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Computer turns on and boots into Windows, but I can't access the BIOS. Hitting Delete or F2 on the splash screen takes me to a black screen with only a green cursor.

ASUS Maximus V Formula. Have tried clearing CMOS, using integrated graphics instead of independent graphics card, changed input to a second (but identical) monitor, changed displays to an HDTV, swapped input cables from a DVI-to-HDMI cable to an HDMI only, swapped input cable on the monitor from a DVI-D-to-HDMI cable over to a DVI-I-to-VGA cable.

Nothing.

User raja@asus has said that it's an issue with resolution scaling or some "handshake" between the BIOS and the monitor, but I'm out of displays to test.

Does anyone have a solution? All I have left to try is flashing the BIOS via USB or tracking down an old CRT monitor.

Kind of sucks because clearing the CMOS reset the RAID options and now it won't even boot into windows.

Ibian Pahiva

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
hi, what bios version do u have?
as on asus website see:

"MAXIMUS V FORMULA BIOS 1707
1.Fixed Power On By RTC function failed.
2.Fixed F8 function is abnormal under fastboot"

and there are even 2 newer bios available.
as u can see they have corrected it in latest ones, u should try and check what u have.

use "cpu-z" program, it tells u bios version on MB section

TheTBob

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Neither of those seem to be my issue?

Can't tell which version I have at the moment. The computer would boot into Windows prior to me clearing the CMOS, which I did to try and solve this issue.

After clearing the CMOS, Windows won't boot because the SATA controller has been reset to AHCI instead of RAID. It doesn't recognize any operating system since my drives were previously in a RAID0.

I'll have to try flashing the BIOS and get back to you