Question BIOS update for Sony Vaio PCG-71312L ?

Sep 21, 2023
Hello, I have an old Sony VPCEB31FX (Sony Vaio pcg - 71312L) laptop.
I bought an Intel i740qm processor from AliExpress, but the image did not appear.
When I searched for BIOS for my computer, I could not find any suitable model.
It's not on their site and the Update utility doesn't support the computer.
I'm going crazy from now on from visiting sites.
Can you help me?

https://ibb.co/vqpGFbG

Translated with Google translate

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the processor that you purchased;
?

Through my crude search on Google, I can't seem to find specifications nor info regarding the laptop you've mentioned.

See if these help you;

IMHO, you should've asked first, then dg around, made sure you had a BIOS update pending and then purchased the processor. IMHO, I don't think your processor upgrade would work in the long run since your Pentium is a 35W TDP part while the i7-740QM is a 45W TDP part and often times the cooling in the laptop can and will be overwhelmed by a mere 10W bump.

Sep 21, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the processor that you purchased;
?

Through my crude search on Google, I can't seem to find specifications nor info regarding the laptop you've mentioned.

See if these help you;

IMHO, you should've asked first, then dg around, made sure you had a BIOS update pending and then purchased the processor. IMHO, I don't think your processor upgrade would work in the long run since your Pentium is a 35W TDP part while the i7-740QM is a 45W TDP part and often times the cooling in the laptop can and will be overwhelmed by a mere 10W bump.
Thanks a lot.

Yes, I knew that 10w TDP value could be a problem for cooling. But it was worth a try :)

I don't think the download options in the links you provided are the right options for my computer model. ( VPCEB31FX )

The model name does not appear in the first link.
They mentioned a different model in the 2nd link. (VPCEB15FM)

Thank you for your answer.