Question BIOS update gone wrong?

g-unit1111

Titan
I have an Asus B-450F and I updated the BIOS to the latest revision (2406) and the BIOS update said that it was a success but when I went to turn my system off, Windows shut down but the system remained powered on. What was even weirder was that when I powered my system back on, and I tried to get into the BIOS, it didn't even register when I pushed DEL or F2. And the even weirder thing? It boots into Windows just fine.

And I took the CMOS battery out and reset it, did nothing. I have been attempting to see if the board has a hard reset and I could just clear out the bad update but so far I haven't been able to find it. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is my board FUBAR or can I reset it back to factory standards?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sounds like the BIOS update re-enabled fast boot (or dropped the splash screen from X seconds to 0 or 1).

Try rebooting to the BIOS from within Windows (Hold shift + restart) and select the "reboot to UEFI" option. Check what settings may have changed...

Reactions: DMAN999

g-unit1111

Titan
Sounds like the BIOS update re-enabled fast boot (or dropped the splash screen from X seconds to 0 or 1).

Try rebooting to the BIOS from within Windows (Hold shift + restart) and select the "reboot to UEFI" option. Check what settings may have changed...

But if I can't get into the BIOS the traditional way (DEL/F2) how could I be guaranteed that the reboot from Windows option would work? Did my BIOS get corrupted when I applied the update?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Have you tried continuously tapping the DEL key while rebooting ?
You may need to unplug any external USB drives as well to be sure they aren't interfering with the boot process.
If that doesn't work I would shut down the PC and unplug it then hold in the power button for 10 seconds or so then put a flat head screwdriver across the CLRTC (Clear CMOS) jumper pins for 10-15 seconds to clear out the BIOS settings.
You may even need to do that more than once.
When I was OCing my CPU I had to do that a few times to get back into my BIOS because it was stuck on bad OC settings.
It eventually went to the "Press F1 to reset BIOS" screen which I did and all was good again.

Also with that newer BIOS it is STRONGLY recommended that you update to the newest Chipset drivers Before updating as well (read the note for BIOS version 2008):

EDIT:
You might just need to use a different keyboard to get into the BIOS.
A few people have posted that BIOS version 2406 does Not recognize some keyboards and some mice:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107639-Rog-strix-b450-f-gaming/page3

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Well, you can't be guaranteed.... That's why I suggested trying it.

Unlikely your BIOS was corrupted, that would be a whole different bunch of issues.

So I tried it again and it still was not registering my keyboard during POST and I couldn't press F2 or DEL and get into the BIOS, and it still hangs during shut down. Should I maybe try a different keyboard to get into the BIOS? And I was looking through the manual and still didn't find any way of clearing CMOS so I could reset it back to normal standards.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
So I tried it again and it still was not registering my keyboard during POST and I couldn't press F2 or DEL and get into the BIOS, and it still hangs during shut down. Should I maybe try a different keyboard to get into the BIOS? And I was looking through the manual and still didn't find any way of clearing CMOS so I could reset it back to normal standards.

Yes try a different keyboard.
As I posted above that BIOS version does Not recognize some keyboards.

And to clear CMOS (RTC) follow my instructions.
I have that same MB and have cleared the CMOS (RTC) quite a few times while testing my various OCs.
If that doesn't work I would shut down the PC and unplug it then hold in the power button for 10 seconds or so then put a flat head screwdriver across the CLRTC (Clear CMOS) jumper pins for 10-15 seconds to clear out the BIOS settings.
You may even need to do that more than once.
When I was OCing my CPU I had to do that a few times to get back into my BIOS because it was stuck on bad OC settings.
It eventually went to the "Press F1 to reset BIOS" screen which I did and all was good again.

PS
Look on page 1-9 of the manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Reactions: g-unit1111