Bios update issues

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
So after having to rebuild my pc last week into a new case, I noticed the bios has reverted back a few versions. Someone mentioned it was probably the battery needed replacing due to its age.
Anyway, downloaded the latest bios update file from the gigabyte website, installed it fine, rebooted...and now I can't boot up!! I keep getting an error saying inaccessible boot device, and then it tries restarting!

System restore doesn't work. Automatic repair doesn't work. Startup repair doesn't work.
I've pressed the clear cmos on the back of the motherboard and nothing.
Googling doesn't seem to bring up any answers. The only thing I've not tried yet is reset this pc (I don't have a Windows 10 disk though as was a downloaded update back when it was free) or apparently I can try reverting back to Windows 7 again!

What I thought might be a simple 5 min update has now turned into not being able to use my pc again argh.
Any ideas?

Edit: it's let me boot in safe mode! But can't seem to find any options for restoring the pc to its state earlier.. only the reset options..

if the bios version was changed the nthe settings for the sata ports may have been changed. see if there set to achi or ide. if it achi try ide. if it boots under ide i would back up your data and use the windows media creation tool to make an updated windows 10 usb stick. boot with sata ports set to achi and reinstall windows.

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Strangely I got it to boot into safe mode somehow, system restore or anything still refused to work, but rebooted normally, and suddenly it was booting up again..although the system is crawling now, but that may be due to an overheating cpu..

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Evidently I jinxed myself and spoke too soon!
Pc decided to turn itself off for no reason..presumably the cpu getting too hot..

Left it off for a while, and rebooted. However, decided to check bios as mentioned here. The hdds were in ide mode! So I changed to achi and rebooted..only to get inacsesable boot device yay!!

So yeah looks like it'll boot up in ide but not achi mode. Great.
Have downloaded the windows 10 media creation tool and created a boot DVD (as don't have a usb stick handy)..

Question is, will I need my original Windows activation code or anything, which I don't think I have anymore and was Windows 7 originally? Or will it just literally reinstall Windows but keep that data?
And how much will I lose?

No need to reinstall anything.

• Open the Registry editor.
• Navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\storahci

• Change the Start DWORD value from 3 to 0.
• Restart your PC and in the BIOS Setup change the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI.

Switchfrom_IDEto_AHCI.jpg