BIOS update question

delekhan

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
OK, my motherboard type is Foxconn M61PMV and I want to update my BIOS.

Official BIOS updates are here: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000412

but I cannot run them because they are all 32-bit applications and my Windows is 64-bit.

So I was wondering if I can install 32bit OS and then install those updates and then delete that 32-bit OS. Will than those BIOS updates be deleted as well or will they stay installed? Or is there some more civilized way of installing those 32bit updates on 64-bit windows?

Thanks.

Solution
It is probably fortunate you didn't succeed. Check the version numbers on that site.
The update with description "Update AGESA code to 3.3.2.4." is only version P07, released 7th-August-2009.
This is quite possibly older than the version you already have.
You would only install the latest version; P10, released 12-July-2009.
The description on this is "Fix that memory size show error on POST screen when plug 8G memory."

delekhan

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
I don't know, I can't run any of these updates. These are all RAR files with an .BIN and an .EXE file. And when I double click .exe file I get this error:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

the bios is saved on a separate chip on the motherboard. you can update it from a flash pen drive too but as said, you can do it in a 32bits windows too, it should run.

also, is there a reason for the update? you should not try to update it unless you have a good reason. it's a bit risky and you can brick your motherboard in the process (if the version doesn't match or you get a sudden power out while writing)

delekhan

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
@VincentP: Yes I have, and I have tried running it as administrator and it still shows the same error.

@laviniuc: No specific reason, I just know that my motherboard is 4-5 years old so I guess my BIOS could be a little outdated.
Those updates are on their official site (they are under tech support tab), so I think they should work. There is some AGESA driver update so I guess I should try to update it. Other BIOS updates I don't intend to install, but I can't run them either.

delekhan

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014

Can you explain a liitle more how can I update it from a flash drive? Why should it work on flash and not on hard disk?

from flash you boot into a separate os basically that's designed to do only the bios writing. there should be a how to on the download section of the motherboard, it depends on each manufacturer.

but if you have no problems (instability/resets/shutdowns) and if you don't plan to update cpu, gpu, ram there's really no reason to update it. as i said it's risky and you can brick your motherboard. you should update the bios only if you have problems. never before or without a good reason (as in, support for newer cpu-s/gpu-s).

There is a file flash.bat in the update, this is what you should be running.

The latest bios version on the website is P10, released 12-July-2009.
Check what version you currently have by rebooting the machine and reading the version number from the BIOS messages.

delekhan

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Yes there are some with flash.bat file, but in the the update in which i'm interested in (Update AGESA code to 3.3.2.4.) there is none.

BUT,
I think laviniuc is right, I guess I shouldn't touch BIOS without proper reason and it's just too much hassle for me right now, so I will just leave it as it is.

Thanks for your help!

It is probably fortunate you didn't succeed. Check the version numbers on that site.
The update with description "Update AGESA code to 3.3.2.4." is only version P07, released 7th-August-2009.
This is quite possibly older than the version you already have.
You would only install the latest version; P10, released 12-July-2009.
The description on this is "Fix that memory size show error on POST screen when plug 8G memory."

Solution