[SOLVED] BIOS update sequence for 5950x

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Current specs:

Ryzen 2700
ASRock X470 Taichi (P1.60 BIOS)
4 x 8GB CL14 RAM 3200MHz XMP enabled

I'd like to swap the 2700 with the 5950x. As per ASRock support page, BIOS 4.60 supports Ryzen 5000 series.

Can I jump directly from 1.60 to 4.60? Additionally, what is the sequence of steps?
  1. Update BIOS to 4.60
  2. Shutdown
  3. Swap CPUs
  4. Power on
Thanks for reading.

Solution
My first concern (despite what the BIOS update states) is that the Ryzen 9 5950X does not appear on the CPU Support Page. It's possible that the CPU Support List just hasn't been updated, but it is a concern.

Assuming it is:

Step 1) Download and Extract BIOS versions 2.00 and 4.60 to a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Step 2) Download and install the latest AMD All-In-One with VGA Driver. Reboot.
Step 3) Update to BIOS version 2.00. Restart.
Step 4) Update to BIOS version 4.60. Shut down.
Step 5) Swap CPUs.
Step 6) Restart.

-Wolf sends
Follow instructions on the Asrock support page. You'll not get much better than that.

The sequence of steps you listed is correct. One thing I'd add is to reset CMOS before starting the update. Also reset CMOS after the update and once you've installed the new CPU.

Since you have a 2700, which is a CPU not an APU, I think you can dispense with the updating of the all-in-one VGA driver.

SOME BIOS versions want you to update to ver. 2.00 before updating to that one, but not the one you want to go to. So with that, there's really nothing else in the instructions I see that suggests you can't go straight to the new BIOS.

And a bit of advice on swapping CPU's: be careful removing the heatsink as it's easy to damage pins on CPU or even sockets on motherboard if you pull too hard. Twist the heatsink in circular fashion, just a little bit back and forth, before and then while pulling up. Don't pull too hard. You can also pull a piece of dental floss between heatsink and CPU to cut the bond.

Last edited:
Reactions: eszed556

Wolfshadw

Titan
My first concern (despite what the BIOS update states) is that the Ryzen 9 5950X does not appear on the CPU Support Page. It's possible that the CPU Support List just hasn't been updated, but it is a concern.

Assuming it is:

Step 1) Download and Extract BIOS versions 2.00 and 4.60 to a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Step 2) Download and install the latest AMD All-In-One with VGA Driver. Reboot.
Step 3) Update to BIOS version 2.00. Restart.
Step 4) Update to BIOS version 4.60. Shut down.
Step 5) Swap CPUs.
Step 6) Restart.

-Wolf sends

Solution

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
@Wolfshadw I'm currently in conversation with an ASRock rep that initially stated the 5950x isn't on the CPU support list therefore its unsupported.

But when I pointed out via screenshot that the BIOS page specifically listed version 4.60 as the BIOS for Ryzen 5xxx, they updated their statement and asked me to try.

Try what exactly, is being clarified over our email exchange.

BIOS version 2.00 seems important.

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
1.60 > 2.00 > 4.60 was a success. Thanks for the responses.

I have paired the 5950x with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. It idles at 32C. Ran Prime 95 for 20 mins and CPU peaked at 75C. Should improve as the thermal paste cures I guess.

XMP 2.0 is stable thus far (B-Die). The hardest part was installing the CPU cooler. I have a CM HAF 912 that houses 4 sticks of RAM, a 3080 and this massive cooler. Hands are full of cuts and nicks.

Interestingly my 2700 booted successfully on BIOS 4.60.

I had installed the latest chipset drivers (from AMD's site) prior to the BIOS flash. Do I need to do anything else post CPU swap? Some OS settings were off - other than that, so far so good.

Interestingly my 2700 booted successfully on BIOS 4.60.

I had installed the latest chipset drivers (from AMD's site) prior to the BIOS flash. Do I need to do anything else post CPU swap? Some OS settings were off - other than that, so far so good.

Good to know all's well..

It's not uncommon for Zen 3 BIOS' to operate with 2000 series CPU's, but they're not 'compatible'. That means operation will probably be sub-optimal and unstable even, especially for higher memory clock speeds.

Be sure to do a CMOS reset. Many people don't after such a CPU change and it works well enough for a while.

I'd also re-install chipset drivers. AMD has made statements before that suggests the install is conditional based on specific AGESA it sees and since you made a major BIOS change it might matter. It's easy enough to do and doesn't hurt anything so why not.

But then many people also suggest a clean install of Windows with core hardware changes (CPU/motherboard). This is just a CPU change but you did jump two full CPU generations. I don't think I'd do it, but it's something to keep in mind if things get messy later on.

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Be sure to do a CMOS reset. Many people don't after such a CPU change and it works well enough for a while.

I'd also re-install chipset drivers. AMD has made statements before that suggests the install is conditional based on specific AGESA it sees and since you made a major BIOS change it might matter. It's easy enough to do and doesn't hurt anything so why not.

But then many people also suggest a clean install of Windows with core hardware changes (CPU/motherboard). This is just a CPU change but you did jump two full CPU generations. I don't think I'd do it, but it's something to keep in mind if things get messy later on.

I've reset CMOS , enabled XMP and reinstalled the chipset drivers. Holding steady.

x---x---x

I'm glad I decided to buy an X470 board over the X370 2.5 years ago. And props to AMD for delivering on their AM4 support promise.