Question Bios update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
It's always good to update the BIOS, but I'd like to point out that your CPU appears to be overheating.
A BIOS update falls into the "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!" catagory. Never update a BIOS just to have the"Latest and greatest". You should only update a BIOS to

A. Fix a known issue. The issue will be listed in the release notes for the new BIOS.

B. Acquire new functionality, For example, support for a new CPU, or other hardware not available when the current BIOS was released, or better support for current hardware, such as memory.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Check you temps now and if they are still high you will need to check and make sure you have decent airflow in/through the case by taking the side panel off and see if the temps drop drastically or only slightly.
Also check that the CPU cooler is properly seated, which means removing it, cleaning all the old paste off the CPU and cooler and reapplying thermal paste and re-installing it.

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Check you temps now and if they are still high you will need to check and make sure you have decent airflow in/through the case by taking the side panel off and see if the temps drop drastically or only slightly.
Also check that the CPU cooler is properly seated, which means removing it, cleaning all the old paste off the CPU and cooler and reapplying thermal paste and re-installing it.
They still were high while gaming gpu and cpu up to 70C and taking off the side panel affected couple degrees only. i have to order new tim because i have something i bought from local store called heat sink compound(silicon based) i dont know should i even used it, i did on my last pc and cpu was only 40-45C

Thermal paste could make a difference.
I use thermaltake tg-7 on all three of my systems fx8350@4.5g, fx 6300 with tudbo boost @4.620, and my ryzen 2600x all on corsair w/coolers.

What really stands out to me in your system is cpu temp 1 but the gpu at basically idle in the 70's
My 1070ti last night was in the 30's idle.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you only have 2 intake fans at the front IO would add at least 1 exhaust fan at the rear or top of the case to get rid of the hot air coming off the CPU and GPU.
I personally have 5 fans in my case, 2 front and 1 side panel intake and 1 top and 1 rear exhaust with the intake fans running a few hundred rpm highert than the exhaust fans.
That gives me a slightly positive airflow and keeps my PC very cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: xanorigg
Ya in my thermaltake f31 suppressor case
I have 2 intake front, 2x140 noctua 3000rpm / 110 cfm on the rad as exhaust and a 140 exhaust in back.
And about to add a intake fan at the bottom with 2 L brackets bent hold a piece on lexan directing more are for the gpu.
Even though my temp so far a good.
But summer is on its way and this room barely gets any a/c to it..

Still thinking of his gpu temp seems high telling lack of air flow. My 1070ti oc'd running unigene heaven benchmark with a aggressive fan curve stays at 61 to 64c during the bench.

Op what is your case?
Can you add more fans?

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Thermal paste could make a difference.
I use thermaltake tg-7 on all three of my systems fx8350@4.5g, fx 6300 with tudbo boost @4.620, and my ryzen 2600x all on corsair w/coolers.

What really stands out to me in your system is cpu temp 1 but the gpu at basically idle in the 70's
My 1070ti last night was in the 30's idle.
Yes i will get new thermal past / another cooler on cpu, i have stock currently r5 2600

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
If you only have 2 intake fans at the front IO would add at least 1 intake fan at the rear or top of the case to get rid of the hot air coming off the CPU and GPU.
I personally have 5 fans in my case, 2 front and 1 side panel intake and 1 top and 1 rear exhaust with the intake fans running a few hundred rpm highert than the exhaust fans.
That gives me a slightly positive airflow and keeps my PC very cool.
I will order atleast 1 for rear, is there enough ports on motherboard to fit another on top?

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Ya in my thermaltake f31 suppressor case
I have 2 intake front, 2x140 noctua 3000rpm / 110 cfm on the rad as exhaust and a 140 exhaust in back.
And about to add a intake fan at the bottom with 2 L brackets bent hold a piece on lexan directing more are for the gpu.
Even though my temp so far a good.
But summer is on its way and this room barely gets any a/c to it..

Still thinking of his gpu temp seems high telling lack of air flow. My 1070ti oc'd running unigene heaven benchmark with a aggressive fan curve stays at 61 to 64c during the bench.

Op what is your case?
Can you add more fans?
My case is fractal design focus g, had to pick almost cheapest one :d yes i'm going to buy another for back and maybe 1 on top if i have enough ports on my motherboard

Dmann will be able to confirm
What i saw on asus x470 prime pro
1x cpu fan
1x cpu fan opt
3x chass fan
1x aio pump
1x water pump

So you will have enough for cpu fan and
2 at front
1x exhaust back
And using say the cpu opt header for top back fan as exhaust.
Put the last 1 closest to the main exhaust
As possible.
With that air will come in front move across and up exiting back and top.

Please keep us posted.

Reactions: xanorigg

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Dmann will be able to confirm
What i saw on asus x470 prime pro
1x cpu fan
1x cpu fan opt
3x chass fan
1x aio pump
1x water pump

So you will have enough for cpu fan and
2 at front
1x exhaust back
And using say the cpu opt header for top back fan as exhaust.
Put the last 1 closest to the main exhaust
As possible.
With that air will come in front move across and up exiting back and top.

Please keep us posted.
Okay thank you sir i will!

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
what cooler you have on this cpu does it use a 3 or 4 pins onnector and check if the fans speed up as temp raise a good repaste will help also case name ad model and how many fans you have in this one .
I have Wraith Stealth 65W and 2 fans front of pc, i'm ordering new thermal paste and 2 new fans

Thats is looking alot better.
You said might drop in a second.
Are these readings run at idle or a test?
But 1 thing is certain you now are getting better air flow through the case with the gpu temp that has dropped by 30c.

Did you check the power plan for
  1. Min processor state @ 5%.
  2. Cooling Active
When set to active cpu fan kick up higher before it drops core clock.

A repaste is a option.
What thermal paste did you get?
Keep in mind some paste's requires time and power cycles to cure some upto 200hrs.

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Thats is looking alot better.
You said might drop in a second.
Are these readings run at idle or a test?
But 1 thing is certain you now are getting better air flow through the case with the gpu temp that has dropped by 30c.

Did you check the power plan for
  1. Min processor state @ 5%.
  2. Cooling Active
When set to active cpu fan kick up higher before it drops core clock.

A repaste is a option.
What thermal paste did you get?
Keep in mind some paste's requires time and power cycles to cure some upto 200hrs.
Yes better airflow for sure! i dont really know what you mean by "did you check the power plan for" my english is not the greatest but i have balanced power plan active and minium processor state is at 5% and system cooling policy is active.

i bought mx-4 arctic. i had to use nail polish remover to get the stuff out of the heatsink and it left dark residue there but seems to be working :d and my motherboard backplate dropped while i took the cpu cooler off, took a hr to figure out why i cant screw my cooler back on.. thats what you get for 30€ case.. (EDIT: changing my thermal paste dropped cpu temp from 50 to 40c but still sometimes it gets in 50c in a second and drops back on 40c)

xanorigg

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
It could take the mx4 some time to cure.
So do your normal stuff and monitor temps from time to time on what you are doing say over a week or so and shutting it down to totally cool to help the cure.
But over all it's looking and sounding way better.
Keep us posted.
Okay thank you, for some reason my gpu temps are back at 60c while idle.. i tried download speedfan but i wont detect my fans

Ya speed fan detected mine but i couldn't get change anything.
Have you tried your mobo qfan for the case fans.
You can also use MSI Afterburner or your brand gpu software and set a custom fan curve for the gpu.
I set my 1070ti to ramp up sooner.
So say 40-50c 40-50% fan
60c 80% fan
70c 100% fan.
Still a 30c ambient room temp is going to keep it running warm.
But give the system time to see if the mx4 helps.
For my systems with corsair water coolers the thermaltake TG-7 works best it was immediate temp drop vs mx4.
90% rubbing alcohol works

When you put the back plate and heat sink was any movement at all?