BIOS will not detect HDD

Sam W

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Hey everyone, I just upgraded mine spec from AMD to Intel...so I installed the FX-8350 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0 mobo in my sis's com (which was an Acer Aspire M1935)....the first few days it worked fine but then recently the HDD will loose detection.....for example the computer running about 3hr++ (sometimes 10min++ after bootup) then it'll hang...then after restart I'll go to the BIOS and found out that the HDD is not detected.....So the only way I do is to complete shutdown, close the switch and then reboot it again then it'll work for most probably few hours only.....

I did tried check the connection is all good no loose, changed SATA cables, changed the position of the SATA cable connected to the mobo.....but I still didn't changed the HDD.....

Is there any solution or suggestion ?? thanks

the HDD is a seagate 500gb...I did not check the model..

on your rebuilt pc. could be the power supply is just a little to under wattage and the 12 or 5v line is dropping below atx spec and the hard drive drops out becuase of it or the power cable to the drive is bad or the drive itself is going bad, use hdtune read the drive smart info. also run seatools test see if the drive passes.

Sam W

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Goldengoose nope I didn't tried other HDD's....can I use the one working on my com to test on my sis's com ??

I've just tried the HDtune and Seatools....all scan, benchmark, etc all good.....but on the HDtune Health tab....there's one thing not right

(C7) Interface CRC Error Count Current=200 Worst=175 Threshold=0 Data=3761 Status=attention

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
You have bad sectors. All HDD's come from the factory with bad sectors but i imagine this hard drive has more than usual.

You could section the bad areas off but i have no idea how. Easiest would be to return the drive and get another one.

Edit: just saw the firmware post above mine. I'd suggest trying this first as well.