Question BIOS won't display on monitor ?

Oct 12, 2023
Are you trying to say your new build is booting with no display and BIOS menu or nothing happens? Two separate issues.
Won't let me login to my original account but I am op.
Everything turns on alright with no obvious motherboard leds lit up. The only problem is that when I plug a HDMI cable into my monitor and GPU it won't display the BIOS screen.

Oct 12, 2023
Is the bios updated to the latest version, because if not the CPU is not supported by older bioses and therefore will not work?
How would I go about checking this? I have not installed windows os yet and merely have assembled the PC which appears functional and am attempting to display the GPU BIOS on monitor.

Won't let me login to my original account but I am op.
Everything turns on alright with no obvious motherboard leds lit up. The only problem is that when I plug a HDMI cable into my monitor and GPU it won't display the BIOS screen.
Are you essentially saying that it works fine but you don't see the BIOS splash screen on bootup? Quick boot might be enabled.

Check your mobo manual to see what key press is used to enter the BIOS, restart your PC, and right after it turns back on start spamming that key on your keyboard continuously and it should take you into BIOS.

Oct 12, 2023
Are you essentially saying that it works fine but you don't see the BIOS splash screen on bootup? Quick boot might be enabled.

Check your mobo manual to see what key press is used to enter the BIOS, restart your PC, and right after it turns back on start spamming that key on your keyboard continuously and it should take you into BIOS.
Will try this out.
Basically I have assembled all parts in the case and everything. Once I turn the PSU and power on, all the parts light up and indicate that they are receiving power. But when I plug the GPU into the monitor using HDMI it does not display the BIOS screen.

I am also wondering if installing windows onto the PC and checking the GPU on that will work. Would installing windows even if there is a problem with the GPU cause any damage?

Will try this out.
Basically I have assembled all parts in the case and everything. Once I turn the PSU and power on, all the parts light up and indicate that they are receiving power. But when I plug the GPU into the monitor using HDMI it does not display the BIOS screen.
What screen are you calling the BIOS screen exactly? Are you seeing the screen that shows MSI on it when the PC boots?
I am also wondering if installing windows onto the PC and checking the GPU on that will work. Would installing windows even if there is a problem with the GPU cause any damage?
Installing Windows on it like it is shouldn't hurt anything with the exception of maybe the GPU driver but that can easily be fixed.

Oct 12, 2023
What screen are you calling the BIOS screen exactly? Are you seeing the screen that shows MSI on it when the PC boots?
I'm trying to access the screen that says MSI when booting. It should show CPU, memory, storage, etc. It should also say click BIOS at the top.

In the tutorial I followed it booted to BIOS when they plugged the GPU into a monitor and powered it all on. But mine doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023
Okay so I tried everyone's advice and found that unplugging the GPU from the motherboard then plugging it back in, then spamming del while the PC booted worked.
Thanks for the help!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If your motherboard supports onboard video you may have to go that route temporarily just long enough to gain access to the BIOS and check to make sure it's updated that way.
His CPU has no integrated graphics, and there haven't been mainstream aftermarket consumer boards with graphics themselves since some of those early AM3+ motherboards that were basically retrofit from AM3, so that's not an option.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Latest posts