BIOS won't let me change CPU overclocking settings

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I plan to overclock my i7 3770k but my BIOS won't let me. The CPU ratio and VCORE voltages can't be changed. I have an MSI Z77A GD-55 and I tried to update my BIOS with Live Update 5 but it won't do anything. I don't know how to download the BIOS update using just the website. What should I do?

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Thank you for the reply. No I didn't, I don't know where that option is. I think I did find a solution though. My motherboard has OC Genie II which can do automatic overclocking, but you can set it to custom instead of auto and you can change the multiplier and voltage. Since it is a setting that is separate from the standard motherboard, it even allows you to set an X.M.P profile for the RAM. Would this option suffice?

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Ok thanks. I'm just going to call MSI customer service tomorrow and see how I can do it manually. Thank you for all your help.

rapman4488

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

I finally found my answer on my own. I did a little bit more searching and I found that if you use the + and - keys on the num keypad, then it will bring the values up and down. This works for the CPU ratio and Vcore. This is manually, not with the OC Genie II. It seems like a weird solution because I think it should be the double click the value in brackets option. Anyway, I found what I was looking for. Again, thank you for your time and help :)