BioShock Infinite Coming to Mac... This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Who games on a MAC anyway. I'd rather see it on Linux.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly, besides, you're already making it for OSX which means it's also using OpenGL. If you're already doing that, you may as well port it to linux as it isn't much of a hassle and it'll sell well because it's one of the few AAA titles for linux. Besides, drivers for Linux are soooooo much better.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Unless someone has a custom built Mac or millions of dollars to spend, they're not going to be playing this game on medium settings on any Apple computer, let alone high. I see no point in releasing the game on Mac.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I understand Macs use OpenGL and not DirectX. So aren't some specific Directx 11 features that BioShock use exclusive to windows only? Is the latest version of OpenGL able to produce or emulate directx 9-11 features? Sorry for this noobish question.

G

[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]>bioshock>AAApick one[/citation]
It's being published by 2k, I think it's fairly safe to say that massive amounts of money were poured into developing it, not to mention a massive team worked on it. That kind of makes it AAA

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Who games on a MAC anyway. I'd rather see it on Linux.[/citation]
If they code it for Mac then Linux will be easy since both are based off of UNIX.

G

Dude GNU's not UNIX

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]the release are late for good reason, give mac hardware time to catch up[/citation]
Open GL is much more efficient than DX and your silly stupid point is....

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Dude GNU's not UNIX[/citation]
Soory DUDE but OS X was based off of Berkley's distro of UNIX, OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X. NeXTSTEP was the graphical, object-oriented, and UNIX-based operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985
Linux is: Linux (i/ˈlɪnəks/ lin-əks[6][7] or /ˈlɪnʊks/ lin-uuks)[8][9][10] is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released 5 October 1991 by Linus Torvalds.
WIKI

G

You don't get the joke: GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix. It's a unix like core, but it's not unix. I know very well that writing code for a UNIX based OS is pretty much the same as writing it for a linux distro but it was just a joke.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]Open GL is much more efficient than DX and your silly stupid point is....[/citation]

No, it's not. OpenGL requires a lot more effort up front to make the game.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]No, it's not. OpenGL requires a lot more effort up front to make the game.[/citation]
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
maybe they can release it for the Wii or the DS too! Same level of graphics he he he... But since mac is just a hacked version of linux anyway couldnt the linux people figure out how to get it to work on linux? Of course by the time you do I'll be done with it but hey have fun.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Well this is nice to see, the Mac could use some more love from the game industry. With the exception of Blizzard most games come out 1+ years late, if they come at all.

Atminside, I believe they would just turn off any effects not supported by OGL 3.2 on Mac OSX compared to Windows and DX 11. As best I know, that'd be mostly some obscure advanced shading effects or physics effects built into DX11 that aren't in OGL 3.2, most other effects like tessellation introduced in recent DX versions are supported in OGL 3.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.