Biostar motherboard issue?

murmur80

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
I have an old Biostar A880GZ motherboard with a Phenom II 970 black edition cpu. I tried putting a brand new GT 730 in it and the pc wouldn't boot. I take the gpu out and it boots fine. I went to FB and asked on some pages there and it was recommended to update the bios but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that or if that is even my issue. I went to Biostar's website and dl the newest bios for my motherboard and also a bios update utility but it doesn't look like it updated anything. What would I need to do to get a newer gpu working in this old rig?

murmur80

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
I put together a 2nd hand desktop and wanted to add a graphics card. I saw an option to disable the onboard gpu but didn't want to try that. I was told if I do that and it still doesn't work that I'd have to reset cmos, is that right?

That is possible, but not a problem. Why would you not want to reset the BIOS to default?

murmur80

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Well I got around to messing with this pc today. I went into the bios and turned off the internal graphics card, I also switched from efi compatible memory to legacy and it works now.