Biostar Releases Budget Hi-Fi B85S1 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
It may not necessarily be the case that external speakers would be required for HTPC use. My ASRock Q1900M board has triple output (HDMI, DVI, and VGA), but imagine my surprise when I connected a DVI -> HDMI cable (DVI end on the mobo) and I had sound coming from my TV.

Some DVI outputs will output sound, it's possible that Biostar implemented that instead of adding connectors.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Don't get the two audio out ports if they went through all that effort to isolate the DSP either...but as for on board connectors, it saves cost if they take them out. This looks like a board targeting someone who is going to make a medium/ medium high gaming rig with a non k-series CPU. My only concern is really the amount of power phases for the CPU. I know B85 is business oriented, but again, why the effort for the DSP? Makes me think it targets mid range gamers.

f-14

Distinguished
It may not necessarily be the case that external speakers would be required for HTPC use. My ASRock Q1900M board has triple output (HDMI, DVI, and VGA), but imagine my surprise when I connected a DVI -> HDMI cable (DVI end on the mobo) and I had sound coming from my TV.
DVI single link doesn't output sound, all dvi ports after dvi single link (1.0) out put sound there's dvi 1.2(sound) 1.3 1.4, .3 and .4 also carry internet if i remember correctly. the difference is in the pins in the cable ends a gap in the middle means it's dvi single link 1.0
hdmi is useless and on it's way out the door, biostar and all manufacturers should ditch the onboard vga ports and save themselves money. if you need vga still, there's adapters that are more than likely cheaper to include if needed. vga needs to die like the floppy port, but manufacturers keep dragging them out

Some DVI outputs will output sound, it's possible that Biostar implemented that instead of adding connectors.

adpo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
maybe the realtek has an 4-per-channel dual mono implementation similar to common implementations of the audiophile grade es9018 8-channel chip?

Lawrence Sinanan

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
This board has a market; the budget gamers who rather spend their money where you get the most returns; Video Card. They are going to be rocking head phones most of the time so why put rear ports that you won't use. A SSD, large hard disk and (optional) optical drive still leaves you with a free SATA port for a case with E-SATA adapter. Not to mention just enough USB connectivity for most people. Hell, it even has PS2 for people like me that held on to there 20 year old mechanical keyboard. The only problem I see here is the brand that has been less than reliable for the last few PC I built with them. I encourage all manufactures to think logically and strip out the stuff people won't use to pass on the savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.