BioWare Employees Write Reviews; Gets Caught

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Dragon Age: Origins. Though having to constantly nitpick my party members and re programming the "tactics" all the time was quite annoying. I wanted to play, kill stuff, and enjoy a story line not nitpick.

For that reason, I enjoy Dragon Age II. I personally enjoy the combat more. If you use some tactics, and learn how to use the spells, it's quite fun to see how fast you can destroy waves of mobs. And, I can either let my party members do their own thing, or I can tweak their tactics (which honestly is more effective now).

Plus the graphics are vastly improved with DX11.

[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]Fix the title, it should be GET not GETS. GETS is used for singular nouns, GET is used for plural nouns.[/citation]

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. :) I couldn't help but read the title like 4 times in order to convince my brain that yes, it was written incorrectly.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]"That's how it works in the Oscars, that's how it works in the Grammy's and why I'm betting that Barack Obama voted for himself in the last election."That is a 100% true statement. If you made a product, why in the world wouldn't you do everything in your power to promote it as best as possible? It would be dumb to do otherwise.[/citation]

There is a major difference here, dude. When a producer, director, or actor promotes his or her movie, it's done with everyone knowing who they are - there is 100 percent full disclosure.

In this case, BioWare employees are giving perfect scores to a game they worked on without telling anyone they worked on the game. If their review came with a disclosure at the beginning or end stating their affiliation with the studio, this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

-Devin Connors

foogoo

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]... I would love to see a 12 year old try Dragon Age 2 on Nightmare. Origins is a cakewalk in comparrison and would be considered "designed for the lower common denominator" if judging tactics and difficulty to Dragon Age 2.[/citation]

I'm almost positive a 12 year old gamer would be able to play and excel at a video game whose intent is to be played and enjoyed by regular human people and not some race of trained, video game playing organisms from a parallel universe who utilize 100% of their 52 lb brain and are able to control all 82 of their lightning quick 3' long phalangie independently and simultaneous.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Honestly, it's blown way out of proportion. It's just a couple user reviews out of hundreds. Certainly not as bad as a publication writing favorable reviews due to publisher influence.

G

it's a good game but not good enough to replay. and it sucks because i want to see other romances in the game... but the game itself is sooo boring and repetitive.

i'm really looking forward to guild wars 2... :)

ncsoft 4teh sheen!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i don't see anything wrong...if he wants he can praise the game all he want, after all he was one for the guys that worked in developing the game...like i said, he did nothing wrong

sridharrreddy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
AH... that developer did his best job and tried to compliment it and some editor who had no better work to do did a detective's job and got a worst day to that developer... DEVELOPER...
I hate that detective turned editor

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]It will be ok BioWare, I'm upset at the cesspool of user reviews giving the lowest rating possible. I have your back giving and giving you the max rating at different sites to at least try to make the average score more realistic.Yes, I am a BioWare Fanboi.[/citation]
[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]@ SabiancymMaybe we defend the game... because it is actually good? It has improved on a lot of things from Origins.[/citation]
Hey! It's another BioWare employee!

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The general, unbiased opinion is that Dragon Age 2 is a "good" game that was rushed to release with many users experiencing some serious bugs. Having played the demo, I wouldn't say it was bad at all, quite enjoyable actually.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
WoW lol, what a crap, thousands of review sites and millions of reviews why would some one read only one written by that guy and not others, i think no one makes any decision based on just one review.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]Unlike and Doom game, I would never give this game to a 12 years old. Have you seen the ammount of sexualy explicit dialogues? [/citation]

.. because disemboweling is jolly good family fun, while seeing tits can scar a small mind forever.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The age of honest reviews have long past. As the article mentions there are tactics used by publishers to bully or seduce reviewers. Public opinion about the games are sadly easy to manipulate as well, not just on games either but any product. There are PR companies out there that write fake praisings and reviews on products as if they were a consumer.

The only advise I can give on this matter is do not be the first to rush out and purchase a game. Talk to people you know that have the game and have similar gaming tastes as you. Whether this be real-life friends, or online. Listen to what they have to say and don't just talk to one.
Do not take the word of those whom have a Business/financial interest in praising a product review magazines and sites are always pressured to give high scores on those big budget games.

goatsetung

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I played DA 1 and thought it s*****. Everything in the story and universe has been done to death. The graphics were unimpressive, the combat was far to simple - like Baldurs Gate "lite". Usually my own opinion isn't so far removed from the general opinion. Needless to say I'm not getting B2. Also, EA is evil. :) Search for "disgruntled EA spouse".

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
WOW and what is sad is they dont think it is wrong...

unlike the grammys, emmys, or elections, people dont buy stuff based on those reviews / votes...

now another reason for pirates to pirate, need to play a demo to get a honest experience

irsoccer05

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I've have enjoyed all of Bioware's games that I have played. It's disappointing to hear that they've done this though and I've lost some respect for them. I still want to get Mass Effect 3 though. lol

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
i dont see anything wrong here.

im surprised at anyone that is surprised by this.

it would be stupid of a company to NOT do this...

...preying off ignorance IS what marketing is all about.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I honestly thought that game companies hired marketing staff whose sole job was to post fake reviews on game sites (same with movie reviews). It surprises me that a developer would bother doing this. You'd also think that he'd be careful enough to just create an alias for posting the review.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]They turned it into an anime similar to Final Fantasy. It seems that everybody thinks that unrealistic weapons and armor, and anime-looking characters are cool. I hate non-japanese games turning into animes. Heroes of Might and Magic 5+ is another example.[/citation]
How is HOM+M V a Japanese/Anime clone? The graphics seem appropriate to me. Its a fantasy game with graphics similar to most other fantasy games (most of which are not Japanese). I'm a little bit of a HOM+M fanboy and your comment confuses me.

G

There should be some legal precidents set to prevent publishers from spreading misinformation, or even biased information, in public places which are designed to remain free of publisher bias.

It's fraud, and all the major corporatings are currently comitting it.

Most people may not realize this, corporations today have dedicated teams whos responsibility is to prowl around online looking for places to spread positive information and respond to criticisms regarding their next/current big release or even their IP in general.

Even sites like metacritic are being inundated with bias, as publishers realized years ago that favorable reviews at key moments result in massive hype sales which they otherwise would miss out on.

Quote this for your year 2011 in tech: Big Publisher of today truely believes that effective marketing and management of public perception is more important than building a quality product. Careless consumers living entirely on credit with too much bored time on their hands are what make this perception a reality.

G

That game has great potential but is mired with game breaking bugs. My last bioware purchase.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I guess this is the measures they need to take to market a game which will probably have limited appeal based on what I have read in various forums.

"Anything negative you'll see about this game is an overreaction of personal preference." Is this defending the blatant homosexual content?

Not that I have any kind of agenda or am against homosexuality, just not my appeal (being that I am straight). When compare to DA1 (where the women were well-done), DA2 is mostly dudes.

I am avoiding all the "homo" dialog options, but at the same time, I am feeling "rooked" on my initial $60 investment. They should have split all the romance stuff out into DLC and let people choose what they want in this respect (a truer market division) rather than trying to make a buck off content that most everyone would want anyway (a whole character)

I hope Sigmar doesn't fall off his podium. Damn dude your post are longer than Palin's knowledge of foreign affairs, lol. That being said; Don't Buy EA!! They are against free speech except when they are posting positive stuff about their junk. Bring back Mechwarror!

headloser

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
i had played both dragon age: origins and dragon age 2.
WHAT the hell Bioware was thinking to limiting me to only one race, compare to 3 in dragon age: oriign, can't buy armors for the "other" players, REUSES of Dungeon, sewers, mines and coastline maps over and over again, very basic art in the city unlike BF2 bad company 2 artworks, and so on.
They did improved the combat choices, although i missed the nature summary animals spell.
Over i would tell people to wait for it go on sale. Good game way better than Dead Space 2 which i finished in 10 hours, this game is over 40 hours good.
I hope Bioware don't screw up Mass Effect 3 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.