Bit of a problem :[ please help

szxi123

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hello! So i recently swapped my motherboard without doing a fresh install.... I kept getting a BSOD upon start up when it would get to the windows logo. I followed this and switched from AHCI to IDE to get passed the BsOD and install all the drivers. What should I do from here? Switch back to AHCI and run a repair with the windows 7 disk or leave it on IDE forever? Please let me know! Thank you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42670-63-windows-boot-motherboard-bios

CPU: AMD FX 8350
MB: Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura (Had an ASrock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+)
GPU: Geforce GTX 970
Ram: 16GB Kingston Fury

The Dowd&Associates article ( http://www.dowdandassociates.com/blog/content/howto-rep... ) mentioned above is a great one. BUT, before you go through all those steps try this one first.

Enter Bios and go to the drive configuration screen.
If the setting is for AHCI, change it to IDE and vice versa.
Save and exit. Restart computer is the exit doesn't automatically.

You should see that it goes past the point where the bsod and reboot took place fairly quickly. Then wait as it will take a while for windows to churn through the changes and get to your desktop. Then you can load the new drivers from the DVD.

This, of course, doesn't work every time but it does often enough to make it worthwhile to try it. As I understand it, if your old motherboard ran your hard discs as IDE, you have to set the new mobo to IDE to get your hard drives to be recognized. If it comes pre-configured to AHCI, your BSOD is telling you no op system is found. (Which makes sense if the hard drive isn't recognized.) The reverse is true also; if your old board ran AHCI and its preset to IDE again your drive won't be recognized, blah blah!

OF course, if you get the BSOD and an immediate restart, go ahead with the Dowd&Assoc. article AFTER you change the BIOS back to the original setting.

Perform a fresh Windows install after formatting the volume which contains the existing installation.

When done, Windows will need activation by phone after major hardware change.
Phone number should come up within the activation utility when you try to activate online (if memory serves me correctly).

szxi123

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

Once I install the proper drivers and what not I reformat with my C: drive with my windows CD correct?