Bitdefender keeps picking up Windows/ Microsoft services to be malicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_140

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2016
Hello, I have Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and my Advanced Threat Defense keeps blocking malicious attacks from 2 windows services, wscript.exe and rundll32.exe located in System 32 rundll32. I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me if these files are actually malicious, could they have been infected with a virus? Should i delete them? I don't know what to do but i know that Bitdefender is a pretty good and widely used antivirus and its detecting them to be malicious.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Definitely do not delete them. However yes they very well could be infected. I suggest doing a full system scan with Bitdefender from Safe Mode in Windows and see what happens.

t53186

Distinguished
Report that to bitdefender and do not delete. wscipt is the script engine, rundll32 allows programs to dll's. It is however possible that a virus or malware could use either of those safe programs to run it's malicious mischief, so reporting that to bitdefender is wise.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I had a similar issue with bitdefender years ago.. had to stop using them being that ever few months they would send out a update that would kill the PC it was on (NOT all of them.. just the dell manufactured ones.. NO idea why) but at least for me when I had it at an old company I worked at the antivirus would ONLY mess up the dell computers we had in the office. the custom PCs and others didn't have an issue. SO I stopped using bitdefender. (just an FYI on one of the Dells I had fully cleaned and installed a new copy of windows though that was back in the Vista business days / and some used XP as well).

May 30, 2018

Hi. Can you please attach here some screenshots from ATD > Threat Defense? It would help to see the history from there, as a staring point to help you. Thank!

Status
Not open for further replies.