Bitdefender Says Windows Defender is Better Than Nothing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Something is better than nothing. But be wary not to fall into a false sense of security even if you have one of the better known anti-whatever installed.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]Dorel44[/nom]Recently, I've been wondering how many viruses I've got after a year or so of running sans AV, so I downloaded avira free and did a full scan. It found 2 viruses, which were both reported false positives and as such, I uninstalled it.In my opinion, care and common sense can very well make up for the lack of an antivirus.[/citation]

Avira loves false positives, for example anything that uses dll injection methods is reported as a virus. The only good thing is that is very well optimized so it doesn't tax the system. Ah, and kudos to them for the best nerd name for the file scanner:

"Luke Filewalker"

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Haven't had a virus since XP anyways. WD may not be perfect but combined with half a mind it does fine. Now that it's integrated in 8 the performance impact is far lower than other AVs.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Interesting way to turn a phrase.
What I'm seeing is that Microsoft took steps to improve out of the box security, which I think is a good thing. I don't think it was ever advertised as replacing traditional AV, but maybe I missed that?
They have a separate free product for that, MSE.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Versus who pretty much says that MSE is as good as the better commercial software. And a lot better than some packages like McAfee.

The problem with these companies is that they built a business an flaws in an OS that have since been corrected. They haven't updated their business plan so they're screwed because they have no more customers to sell to.

MSE is not needed in Windows 8. The functionality has been built into the Windows Defender that is included, as previous posters have mentioned. The Upgrade Advisor for Windows 8 will correctly warn about MSE as being unsupported, if you have it installed. Upgrading to Windows 8 will remove MSE from the system.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Bit Defender? Tom's is flushing their site rite down the shitter. This Garbage software is a must remove for people in the industry, so why are we looking at an article that seems to suggest this product and company are better than MSE. We know they are not.

This is an advert for Crap software, and the editors and individuals responsible for putting this junk on Tom's as "News" should be ashamed. Shame on you.

-CB

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is that if you SURF SAFELY and only download cracks (if you are into those) from trusted sources/websites, you are unlikely to get a virus. Get something that turns off ads in your browser like AdBlock Plus (available for almost all browsers now) and you will be even more safe.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I personally use MSE and it's been great. Biggest reason is that it's free and can install it on every PC I get my hands on. This actually gives Microsoft the ability to make the computers more secure more quickly without having to worry about expired paid subscriptions.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Also best of all it's install and forget software. Just an occasional manual scan will have to be performed but for the most part you don't have to worry much about it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Windows Defender was originally discontinued when MS launched MSE. So, somebody at MS decided to resurrect it and make it almost identical to MSE. I'm failing to see the point in two pretty much identical pieces of software from the same firm.

effendi

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I use windows 7 with Windows defender and free Avast, runs pretty well, no problems detected. performing a complete scan once a month, never found a virus that's could not be taken cared of. Never need any other commercial antivirus ever again.

Thats like saying masturbation is better than nothing...
Im using avira, malware and zone alarm, and i still make a total format and reinstall each 6 months.
I know thats a bit too much, but its not that big of a deal anyway, and it makes me feel clean.

For me, every friend who brings me their laptop to fix from a virus, has no antivirus, no firewall, no anti malware, no antiphishing, no windows updates, no microsoft essentials, no windows defender.... the only way they could get more malware is by advertising their machine saying "come get me".

Status
Not open for further replies.