[SOLVED] Bitdefender Total Security + Malware Software?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I have heard that Bitdefender Total Security should not be used at the same time as malware software . E.G. Malewarebytes or Windows 10 Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT). Is that true?

If they can run side by side, does anyone have a suggested product?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
i would have thought bitdefender stop that sort of thing too. Advice is to just use normal security programs.
You can be too secure and break your own experience. I seem to have broken Youtube on Chrome.

looking around, its mostly AV companies with articles about it.

antispyware included in Bitdefender Total security package - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/news/bitdefender-9-antispyware-191.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you install Bitdefender and have malwarebytes installed, it wants you to remove malwarebytes. I know as I did it a few weeks ago. They both do similar things so Bitdefender warns it won't do certain things if MBM is there.
Mbam doesn't have a similar warning as I installed it on PC after Bitdefender the previous time.
I haven't reisntalled MBM since but it should work fine. the warnings only come from Bitdefenders side.

it should work if you disable a few things - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/91096/bitdefender-and-malwarebytes

Windows 10 Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT)
I don't think you have any control over when that runs, it installs every Update Tuesday and is part of windows regardless of if you have defender or not.
I haven't ever seen any warnings about running it and mbam/bitdefender?

Last edited:

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I'd guess the most common setup for 2 products that don't interfere with each other would be Malwarebytes and Windows own built in anti-virus product.

Maybe you have a strong reason to avoid the Windows product.
I have disabled Windows Defender for years and have run BitDefender which is top rated as an Antivirus app. Thanks.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
If you install Bitdefender and have malwarebytes installed, it wants you to remove malwarebytes. I know as I did it a few weeks ago. They both do similar things so Bitdefender warns it won't do certain things if MBM is there.
Mbam doesn't have a similar warning as I installed it on PC after Bitdefender the previous time.
I haven't reisntalled MBM since but it should work fine. the warnings only come from Bitdefenders side.

it should work if you disable a few things - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/91096/bitdefender-and-malwarebytes

I don't think you have any control over when that runs, it installs every Update Tuesday and is part of windows regardless of if you have defender or not.
I haven't ever seen any warnings about running it and mbam/bitdefender?
If you disable Windows Defender is MSRT shut down as well?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The MSRT does not replace an antivirus product. It is strictly a post-infection removal tool. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you install and use an up-to-date antivirus product.

The MSRT differs from an antivirus product in three important ways:

• The tool removes malicious software from an already-infected computer. Antivirus products block malicious software from running on a computer. It is significantly more desirable to block malicious software from running on a computer than to remove it after infection.
  • The tool removes only specific prevalent malicious software. Specific prevalent malicious software is a small subset of all the malicious software that exists today.
  • The tool focuses on the detection and removal of active malicious software. Active malicious software is malicious software that is currently running on the computer. The tool cannot remove malicious software that is not running. However, an antivirus product can perform this task.
Note The MSRT focuses on the detection and removal of malicious software such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses only. It does not remove spyware.

You do not have to disable or remove your antivirus program when you install the MSRT. However, if prevalent, malicious software has infected your computer, the antivirus program may detect this malicious software and may prevent the removal tool from removing it when the removal tool runs. In this case, you can use your antivirus program to remove the malicious software.

Because the MSRT does not contain a virus or a worm, the removal tool alone should not trigger your antivirus program. However, if malicious software infected the computer before you installed an up-to-date antivirus program, your antivirus program may not detect this malicious software until the tool tries to remove it.

Taken from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...kb890830-ba51b71f-39cd-cdec-73eb-61979b0661e0

it runs regardless of if you have defender or not.

Last edited:

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
The MSRT does not replace an antivirus product. It is strictly a post-infection removal tool. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you install and use an up-to-date antivirus product.

• The tool removes malicious software from an already-infected computer. Antivirus products block malicious software from running on a computer. It is significantly more desirable to block malicious software from running on a computer than to remove it after infection.
  • The tool removes only specific prevalent malicious software. Specific prevalent malicious software is a small subset of all the malicious software that exists today.
  • The tool focuses on the detection and removal of active malicious software. Active malicious software is malicious software that is currently running on the computer. The tool cannot remove malicious software that is not running. However, an antivirus product can perform this task.
Note The MSRT focuses on the detection and removal of malicious software such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses only. It does not remove spyware.

You do not have to disable or remove your antivirus program when you install the MSRT. However, if prevalent, malicious software has infected your computer, the antivirus program may detect this malicious software and may prevent the removal tool from removing it when the removal tool runs. In this case, you can use your antivirus program to remove the malicious software.

Because the MSRT does not contain a virus or a worm, the removal tool alone should not trigger your antivirus program. However, if malicious software infected the computer before you installed an up-to-date antivirus program, your antivirus program may not detect this malicious software until the tool tries to remove it.

Taken from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...kb890830-ba51b71f-39cd-cdec-73eb-61979b0661e0

Excellent info. Thanks.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016

Great info! What would you suggest for Spyware?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would have thought bitdefender stop that sort of thing too. Advice is to just use normal security programs.
You can be too secure and break your own experience. I seem to have broken Youtube on Chrome.

looking around, its mostly AV companies with articles about it.

antispyware included in Bitdefender Total security package - https://www.bitdefender.com.au/news/bitdefender-9-antispyware-191.html

Last edited:
Solution