[SOLVED] Bitfenix enso front panel mod (Laser cut)

Jul 13, 2019
Currently i'm willing to purchase the Bitfenix enso case which has good features but its thermals aren't that good .. the case lacks air intakes which makes its ability for cooling quite poor.. the official website says that the case have a metallic front panel and, in some reviews the front panel has some hardened plastic behind this metallic front panel .. my question would be. is it possible to mod this case by laser carving its front panel to create better air flow (like in Phanteks enthoo evolv for example) without messing the wiring and the RGB in the front Panel ?
PS. I know that there are other options but in the country where i live in, the enso is the best looking case with good features and good price as well.
onther PS. i know that there is a mesh front panel version but for some reason it's very costly on amazon.

Solution
yes, i'm also aware that the mesh front panel is sold separately .. but modding the original front panel is far less expensive and also (imho) much better looking than the mesh panel. that's why i prefer it.
but, thanks for your answer.

I'd agree, and in fact, I do agree. Keep in mind though, while there is definitely a derived pleasure from doing it yourself, it's probably unlikely to be literally less expensive. Mod mesh ain't cheap, if you want to do it right using material with the proper open vs solid ratio for not only an increase of airflow but also shape harmonics that affect noise levels. You don't want to just use any old thing with holes in it.

What exactly did you have in mind to DO with the front panel. Full...
It's just about always possible to do a mesh front panel mod. There aren't that many cases where it's NOT possible to do.

There are also mesh front panels available for that case separately, but they run about forty bucks US.

Part number is BFA-ESM-150-FRPKK-RP for the black mesh panel.

Jul 13, 2019
It's just about always possible to do a mesh front panel mod. There aren't that many cases where it's NOT possible to do.

There are also mesh front panels available for that case separately, but they run about forty bucks US.

Part number is BFA-ESM-150-FRPKK-RP for the black mesh panel.
yes, i'm also aware that the mesh front panel is sold separately .. but modding the original front panel is far less expensive and also (imho) much better looking than the mesh panel. that's why i prefer it.

I'd agree, and in fact, I do agree. Keep in mind though, while there is definitely a derived pleasure from doing it yourself, it's probably unlikely to be literally less expensive. Mod mesh ain't cheap, if you want to do it right using material with the proper open vs solid ratio for not only an increase of airflow but also shape harmonics that affect noise levels. You don't want to just use any old thing with holes in it.

What exactly did you have in mind to DO with the front panel. Full mesh? Random openings? A few cutouts? Lots of ways to do it.

Here is just one I've done with the solid front panel on a Define S. I didn't use mod mesh on this one, but I will be doing it over again using a mod mesh with a circular pattern as I don't particularly like the way the union jack mesh turned out.

11ud9wo.jpg

2my0ozr.jpg

2r7bu9t.jpg

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can vouch for Darkbreeze on that one - it will be more expensive than just buying the panel itself.
I recently modded the top panel of my case, and the total for the mesh, thinner, sandpaper, paint, gloves, & respirator came darn close to $100.
Now that mesh panel on Amazon doesn't look so costly now, does it?

But there are definitely some reasons why you might want to do it yourself in some cases. Not least of which is if you don't necessarily want a FULL mesh panel, or would like some sort of custom variation to the cutout size and shape or mesh type. Lot's of reasons why, none of which are because it's cheaper UNLESS you already have the materials including the mesh, adhesive or epoxy, paint, etc. on hand.

Jul 13, 2019
I can vouch for Darkbreeze on that one - it will be more expensive than just buying the panel itself.
I recently modded the top panel of my case, and the total for the mesh, thinner, sandpaper, paint, gloves, & respirator came darn close to $100.
Now that mesh panel on Amazon doesn't look so costly now, does it?
To be honest the original front panel looks good the way it is to me. how ever it lacks air intake holes .. so my goal is to create few air inlets to help with the air flow .. perhaps the bitfenix Winged logo or ASUS ROG logo with a few simple cutouts .
what Darkbreeze did to his case was sort of an overhaul to the front panel. it looks Awesome and it will definitely cost more than buying the mesh front panel. but my aim is to help creating a good airflow without completely changing the looks of the front panel itself.

Reactions: Phaaze88
i wanted to see if anyone tried (and actually succeeded) to mod this particular model.

Doubtful, and I don't see any threads out there anywhere including on Youtube where anybody has modified the front panel on that case. Usually, when there are already panels available, most people won't bother doing it themselves. If it's a popular enough case, Bill Owen and MNPCtech will usually create one, but I don't see anything over there for any Bitfenix cases except the Prodigy. There are mesh strips available through Bitfenix for modifying the Shinobi, but that's about it. You'd need to come up with your own plan on this one I think.

Jul 13, 2019
Let me work on a mock up and see if I can come up with anything that might solve your problem while allowing you to accomplish it with basic tools.

What tools do you have that could be used for this? Drill? Dremel or rotary tool? Files? Anything?
I do have a drill and rotary tool. but i believe laser cutting the metallic front panel will provide a more accurate results and with less efforts.. I have couple of simple ideas for a design or two that i believe will provide the necessary airflow, along with mesh and magnet strips for dust filters.
apparently you have experience with modding so. what do u think of cutting out some small holes with laser?

You have a "laser"? What are you, DARPA? Luke Skywalker? MIT? LOL.

What kind of laser are we talking about here?

Yeah, I mean if you have laser access, then obviously that's a really good option, since you can pretty much do whatever you want especially if this is some kind of precision CNC laser setup.

I wouldn't cut TOO small of holes though, because the size and shape of the holes, and the smaller the holes the more the shape has an effect, on noise and harmonics.

I'd recommend no holes smaller around than a normal stick of incense and no smaller than a standard #2 pencil would be even better so long as there are enough of them. Something along the lines of "slots" would be even better, or an actual "shape" that is a significant opening would be the best option in lieu of a full mesh panel.

Reactions: Jemy95
Jul 13, 2019
You have a "laser"? What are you, DARPA? Luke Skywalker? MIT? LOL.

What kind of laser are we talking about here?

Yeah, I mean if you have laser access, then obviously that's a really good option, since you can pretty much do whatever you want especially if this is some kind of precision CNC laser setup.

I wouldn't cut TOO small of holes though, because the size and shape of the holes, and the smaller the holes the more the shape has an effect, on noise and harmonics.

I'd recommend no holes smaller around than a normal stick of incense and no smaller than a standard #2 pencil would be even better so long as there are enough of them. Something along the lines of "slots" would be even better, or an actual "shape" that is a significant opening would be the best option in lieu of a full mesh panel.
here is an example of laser cutting.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6U39EoG6c&t=230s

there are some workshops that can provide this sort of work. and these are not expensive ..

That link is no good. Just give me an error.

If you want to post images here, read this and follow the instructions in the guide.

The most important part being that images must be uploaded to an image hosting server, and the link you post here using the formatting toolbar MUST end in an image format like .jpg, .png, .bmp, etc. If you want to post a gallery here, you must use the insert media option rather than the insert image option.