Bitlocked microSD HELP!!!

Umair Shariff

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hi all,

I've been using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for the past two years now and it was struck by the screen flicker. I read about the Microsoft exchange program and got it swapped for a proper functioning device (yay!!)

Here come the nasty bit; before I sent the tablet away, I dumped all my data on the microSD and reset the Surface. Once I got the new Surface, I try to plug the microSD back in, it won't show up; not in This PC, not in disk management, no error shows up on device manager, nothing!!

I first thought that the slot might be faulty, turns out it's all fine and can read memory cards from other sources (same company and size, Samsung Evo plus 64gb) but it simply refuses to read the one specific card.

I think it has something to do with the bitlocker security, but I am not sure. I would like the help of the community to not let my precious memory card be wasted.

Thank you

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
If you activated bitlocker on the sd card, it should still show up. (Far as I know, bitlocker won't just automatically encrypt external media unless you specifically tell it to on that media)

Did you properly eject the SD card in windows before removing it? If not, it could have corrupted or damaged it. I see it happen all the time.

Umair Shariff

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I did eject it properly. A few years ago my external hard drive got corrupted because I didn't eject it properly, since then I make sure to always do.

When I was using my old surface, I did encrypt the microSD with bitlocker.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Even if it was encrypted with Bitlocker it should show up as a drive and ask you to unlock it using the Bitlocker password or recovery key.
Can you try it on another Windows 10 Pro PC?
Maybe try a free trial of M3 Data Recovery to see if it can see your data? I have not used this before but it came up when I looked at recovering a Bitlocker drive.