Question BitLocker dismal performance - is this normal?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I wanted to turn on BitLocker on my new desktop... just in case, somebody breaks into my place, steal the computer, etc.

So I ran CrystalDiskMark before and after turning on BitLocker. I expected some degradation in performance, but was shocked by what I saw, especially RND4K Q1T1 Read which is all important. The system is a 13900KS with 64GB, Samsung 990 PRO 2TB (with latest firmware, just updated today) in full performance mode, new clean install of Windows 11.

Is this normal?!

On my laptop I have a 980 PRO 2TB in power saving mode with BitLocker enabled, RND4K Q1T1 Read is 70. So getting 56 on my desktop just doesn't make any sense.

Before.png

After.png

BTW, performance went back to normal after I disabled BitLocker.

I wanted to turn on BitLocker on my new desktop... just in case, somebody breaks into my place, steal the computer, etc.

So I ran CrystalDiskMark before and after turning on BitLocker. I expected some degradation in performance, but was shocked by what I saw, especially RND4K Q1T1 Read which is all important. The system is a 13900KS with 64GB, Samsung 990 PRO 2TB (with latest firmware, just updated today) in full performance mode, new clean install of Windows 11.

Is this normal?!

On my laptop I have a 980 PRO 2TB in power saving mode with BitLocker enabled, RND4K Q1T1 Read is 70. So getting 56 on my desktop just doesn't make any sense.

Before.png

After.png

BTW, performance went back to normal after I disabled BitLocker.
It's not "dismal" and yes Bitlocker and other programs like that take toll on disk's performanse, you should see what it does to HDDs.

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
OP, did you wait until encryption finished or did you immediately run the benchmark after engaging BitLocker?

Yes, of course, I waited.

But come to think of it, I ran the benchmark as soon as encryption finished. Maybe I should have first forced a TRIM, checked the temp of the drive to make sure there's no thermal throttling, and maybe waited a bit for the SSD controller to do whatever housekeeping it has to do.

I'll re-run it again and report back what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.