Question BitLocker lock out

Status
Not open for further replies.

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
A friend of mine has a laptop and uses BitLocker. He had some sort of problem and BitLocker locked him out. BitLocker gave him the recovery key but he couldn't get it to work so he brought it to me. He gave me the laptop and recovery key. When I boot the laptop, it boots to a black screen. I removed the bottom and pulled his M2 drive and tried to boot. It booted and said there's no hard drive installed. I put the M2 drive back in and boot it up. It boots to the black screen. I repeat this procedure several times and finally it'll boot and ask for the recovery key. When I enter the key, it lets me in and I can do things and when I reboot, it asks for the key again. Every single time. If I shut down the laptop, it goes right back to booting to the black screen and I have to pull the M2 drive and start all over.

I wanted to know if anyone else had had this issue and if so, were you able to resolve it? If so, how did you do it? If nobody has had this problem, is there anyone who can help me fix this, or have any suggestions? I've been messing with this laptop for a couple of weeks now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
"Every single time. If I shut down the laptop, it goes right back to booting to the black screen and I have to pull the M2 drive and start all over. "

Not a bitlocker user - just wondering: Any reliance on the CMOS battery?

I don't know. I'm not a user of it either. If he wants me to try getting into it again, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.