BitTorrent Has 100 Million Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't been able to find a good source for music torrents lately, all my previous sites seem to keep getting shut down. Any suggestions for music torrents would be appreciated :)

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I don't use bitorrent, but I think the technolgy has a lot of potential with doing legal business.

If they provide private sharing were you can just share the files with yourself or a small group of people, this technology could challenge the emerging cloud market.

Let me explain. Even though I like Google, I know I'll have to pay them 15 to $30 dollars a month to have access to... say a couple of terabytes on the cloud. With bit torrent in contrast, I can host cloud application on my desktop at home, and access them any where from the Internet... no monthly fee !(other than the Internet access) For that reason alone I think many savy users may be inclined to use bitTorrent as a cloud replacing tool. It would also be attractive to small business not waiting to let an outside company have possession of their data.

G

Bittorrent protocol is very smart. Hashed pieces, DHT, centralized peer list(trackers), automatic piece check, .torrent file and now uTP.

It's a advance in P2P(a P2P without spam and viruses) and too in download management(impossible to download a corrupted file).

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ddragoonss[/nom]Bittorrent protocol is very smart. Hashed pieces, DHT, centralized peer list(trackers), automatic piece check, .torrent file and now uTP.It's a advance in P2P(a P2P without spam and viruses) and too in download management(impossible to download a corrupted file).[/citation]

well, diferent case for a bad client of bad HDD (e.g. firmware issue).

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
BitTorrent is a wonderful tool. If I had the options, I'd even download my Steam games through it.
Jamendo.com is nice in that all its downloads are via torrents, not dedicated servers.
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I don't use bitorrent, but I think the technolgy has a lot of potential with doing legal business. If they provide private sharing were you can just share the files with yourself or a small group of people, this technology could challenge the emerging cloud market.Let me explain. Even though I like Google, I know I'll have to pay them 15 to $30 dollars a month to have access to... say a couple of terabytes on the cloud. With bit torrent in contrast, I can host cloud application on my desktop at home, and access them any where from the Internet... no monthly fee !(other than the Internet access) For that reason alone I think many savy users may be inclined to use bitTorrent as a cloud replacing tool. It would also be attractive to small business not waiting to let an outside company have possession of their data.[/citation]
As long as the data is enrypted, I see no problem. I personally have no issue with a cloud drive (maybe make it appear as a virtual drive in Windows?), and the only thing stopping me is low speed on my uplink connection.
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]The protocol has consistently been named as one of the major consumers of Internet bandwidth with estimates ranging from about 30% to 60%. Several carriers are said to have established bandwidth throttling technology that especially targets BitTorrent and slows down file sharing processes.[/citation]
Lemme see... In the last 90 days, I've uploaded 474GB and downloaded 486GB. I can certainly believe the bandwidth claim.
Around 3 months ago I also reformatted my main drive, and my Steam folder is 457GB.
I also have Netflix, and I'm sure that uses quite a bit of bandwidth (between me and 2 other people).
My bandwidth cap is 100GB/month... I love my lazy ISP. ^_^

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
kickasstorrents is my mininova replacement. The pirate bay is still kicking depending on which day u check it. I've been warned by my ISP 3 times now for DLing copyright material. Time Warner and the MPAA never tell me which file/s they r concerned about. Probably all..lol..but they usual single out one particular movie. I finally picked up an HD tv (ya super late adopter) and pulled 1TB in the first month I had it. I'm lucky I have no cap. It's coming tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.