[SOLVED] Bizarre Internet Issue ~ Slow Speed UNLESS Loading Multiple Things

Nov 10, 2019
Hi guys. I started having this problem a few months ago, when I was on an older PC without internal WiFi. I assumed then that my USB adapter was going bad and didn't worry about it, because I was planning on getting a new PC soon, anyway.

Except now I'm ON the new PC... and I still have the problem.

What happens is that my internet speed slows down to a veritable crawl at times, with downloads saying they'll take DAYS to complete, websites not loading, images refusing to show, all that nonsense. EVERY time this happens, my speed immediately returns to normal upon loading an additional high-content webpage, running a speed test, or starting a new/additional download. It's as if there's a bottleneck somewhere in my connection, and it can only be flushed out by sending a surge of new/additional content through the line. Sometimes it's a brief problem, and a single speed test will clear it up and I can resume surfing. However, it sometimes is a constant problem - and I can ONLY use the internet if I have a minimum of 3-4 different pages/downloads going on all at the same time.

Other Key Factors:
  • We're on Comcast Infinity. No other issues with cable, phone or internet service, and there's no correlation between our general usage habits and this issue. Speed tests are all fine. Great, in fact. Problem doesn't seem to be ISP related for once in my life :p
  • Problem exists in ALL browsers I have installed - Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. As stated above, it has affected two separate computers, as well. One was an old HP running Win7 and connecting through a USB adapter, this one's a brand new Dell Inspiron 3470 running Win10 and connecting through internal WiFi.
  • My computer(s) is the only one in the house running on the 2.4GHz channel of our router - which is a Linksys EA6350. Everything else is running on the 5GHz channel and seems to not have any issues. However, since there's different users on those devices, I can't guarantee they're not experiencing issues and just not noticing it due to less intensive internet usage and/or different sites being visited (see below).
  • I'd like to jump on the 5GHz channel with my PC to see if the problem ceases on that channel, but I don't seem to have the option to do so anywhere. Our other devices can see both channels just fine, one labeled "NetworkName 2" and the other "NetworkName 5" - but this PC only sees "NetworkName" and connects to it at 2.4GHz.
  • The problem is intermittent. I can go entire days without experiencing it, but often have multiple bouts of it throughout the day, at various times. It tends to act up a lot more and/or be more extreme when my computer is the only device "on" in the house. Seems odd to me, since all of those other devices are on a separate channel to begin with? Regardless, it definitely seems like the less "pull" there is on our bandwidth, the slower the connection goes. Also, since I use the internet far more than anyone else in the house, it is possible the problem DOES effect both channels and ALL devices, but since I'm always online when the others use their devices, there's enough overall "pull" to keep them from ever noticing the slowdown that occurs when only one person is using the bandwidth.
  • To some extent, it seems to be site-specific. Certain websites always seem to slow down and "stick" while other ones seem to never have any problem. Likewise, certain sites work well for clearing the "clog" while others don't seem to have any effect on it. This might have to do with how the sites are coded or the volume of content they're transferring. Netflix seems utterly uneffected by any of this, while I can't listen to a single 30 second song clip on Amazon without running a speedtest in the background :p
I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what could be causing this? Or any insight into why I can't get on the 5GHz channel to begin with? My housemates are hesitant to do anything with the router itself (including a reboot), since they're not having any issues and are certain the problems originate on my end. Are they likely right? I've looked at the router settings, specifically looking for any "efficiency" and "timeout" nonsense, but I didn't see anything that looks like it should be causing any sort of latency issues like the ones I'm having, and my housemates were adamant that nothing should be changed. I've tinkered with the network settings and general settings in this PC to no avail - nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

Solution
Get a usb 5g dongle. Only real test to see if there's something wrong with the router and it's 2.4g freq. Do this before losing your hair 😉

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nov 10, 2019
See here and check which wifi adapter your PC has.

https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/5ghz-Wifi-not-showing-up/td-p/5074106

Also see page 12&13 in setup and specifications pdf to reference wifi adapter model and frequency compatibility.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-3470-desktop/docs

Three different wifi adapters

DW1707
2.4GHz

Intel 9462
2.4GHz & 5GHz

Intel 9560
2.4GHz & 5GHz

Find out which wifi adapter your PC has.

Adapter is Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Wireless Adapter.

So that solves the "Why can't I see the 5GHz channel problem, I guess! This specific adaptor isn't capable of it, just as my previous computer's USB adapter wasn't. Honestly, I had just assumed a brand new PC would have this functionality, even a budget one. My bad! Thanks for the help!

I've also tried connecting to the internet on my tablet via the 2.4GHz channel, and the connection is really spotty and drops out a lot during light web browsing. Have experienced no issues with video streaming, however - which seems to point to the same "connection drops out with light use, works fine with high use" issue. Definitely seems like the 2.4GHz channel is where the problem's coming from... but what the heck is WRONG with it?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm yeah. Either it's range, interference or the router can't handle both frequency simultaneously properly. Maybe try see if there's an update for the router?

See what happens if you get closer and see if setting router wifi to 2.4g only helps.

Nov 10, 2019
Hmm yeah. Either it's range, interference or the router can't handle both frequency simultaneously properly. Maybe try see if there's an update for the router?

See what happens if you get closer and see if setting router wifi to 2.4g only helps.

Well, the problem seems to act up when both channels AREN'T working simultaneously. Everyone else in the house is using the 5GHz channel, and my speed problems are the worst when I'm the only one online. Also, I think they'd all kill me if I switched the router to 2.4GHz only XD

No newer updates available for the router, unfortunately.

But I will try bringing the tablet closer and see if that effects the connectivity there. Can't really bring the PC any closer. It's sort of anchored where it's at...

Nov 10, 2019
I get that.

If you can test somehow and if signal does improve being closer, could consider a power socket wifi extender and put it somewhere in between.

Or get a usb 5g adapter.

No change in this issue with regards to distance from the router.

Still having the issue: Download says it will take 9 hours to complete. Run speed test in another window - download time drops to 10 seconds to complete.

In lieu of a solution, I'll also accept any ideas for something I can run in a background tab that will constantly and consistently draw on my bandwidth heavily enough that I can surf the web like a normal person. This is driving me NUTS.