Question Bizarre permissions issue - can't access ANY files even after 3 resets!

Oct 20, 2024
Really strange issue I've never encountered.
So I'm using Windows 10
10.0.19045 build 19045
My laptop is a Asus ROG G752VS
i7-6820hk
32gb RAM

Everything was fine until I tried to apply a third party theme which I've done 100 times on my old laptops. I made a mistake somewhere and so I read somewhere online to take permission of the entire C drive. So that's what I did and then everything started acting strange. The start menu stopped working the search bar in windows stopped working. So I reset my PC. The first time I did it I opted to keep my files and just reset.

When the reset was done I logged back in and went to click on a video and got the message

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate information to access the item"

Not only was I getting this message when trying to access files on my C drive but also when trying to access files on my plug-in USB hdd !!
I noticed with some files the only way to open them was to right click on them and choose "open with" and then choose a default program. And then it would open.

So I reset my PC again and this time I chose to remove all files. After resetting the second time I tried to open a file and I got the same error again.

So now I've reset my PC a third time and this time in the reset options I clicked "clear data". And I just logged back into Windows after the reset and it's still giving me the same error.

(In fact I just tried to open an image file and it wouldn't let me. It gave me the error. So I right click on it and I chose to open with and set the default program to paint. And it open just fine)

Also, when I view permissions for my C drive it says:
Name: C:\
Owner: S-1-5-21-2766382334-958787071-1510349811-1001

I feel like there's a permission problem somewhere or something. I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least I hope not. Everything was working fine until I screwed with the permissions and patching system files for themes)

The odd thing this is I've never had a problem like this persist even after resetting three different times!!?

Am I going to have to make a bootable USB and reformat everything?! Or am I going to have to pull this hard drive right out? I'm getting quite nervous that I won't be able to fix this and that my laptop is irreparable and I'll have to sell it or something LOL.

Edit: with that image file I spoke of above I right clicked on it just now and clicked open with and try to change the default program back to photos and it wouldn't work. So it seems the open with method only works with any program that's opposite the system default? I'm totally confused

Sorry for the long post. I just figured I'd give you all the details I appreciate any help thank you so much guys!

Solution
I know. I'm not a total newbie when it comes to computers. I am a programmer (mostly games) but when it comes to this type of stuff I guess I just don't know as much as I thought. Cause I could have sworn I've taking ownership of certain folders but never a whole drive. I made an idiotic decision and now I pay for it. So your scolding me was quite appropriate in this situation lol.

That being said. Seeing as how I already messed up before I'd like to not do that again going forward so maybe one of you could give me some advice on how to go forward. Do I get a Windows 10 ISO and use a tool like Rufus and put it on a USB drive and then format the drive? Or ..
See this is where I get confused because every guide I've come across...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So I reset my PC.
If I were you, I'd have performed a system restore prior to installing the possible culprit app.

I noticed with some files the only way to open them was to right click on them and choose "open with" and then choose a default program. And then it would open.
Looks like your OS is corrupt. Since 3 OS resets did no good, I'd make sure you've backed up all mission critical data off your (OS) drive.

Am I going to have to make a bootable USB and reformat everything?!
I think you should, but install the OS in offline mode, then install all drivers with the latest versions in an elevated command, then hook up to the internet to update the OS, not before that.

Reactions: banelyxxx
....I made a mistake somewhere and so I read somewhere online to take permission of the entire C drive. So that's what I did and then everything started acting strange....
And therein lies your problem. Blindly following some random UTube video or blog post without fully understanding the underlying ramifications of the action will always result in misery. You are now at the "Full wipe and reinstall" phase of your lesson. You do not fix this any other way. And next time keep your hands off things you don't fully understand.

Oct 20, 2024
And therein lies your problem. Blindly following some random UTube video or blog post without fully understanding the underlying ramifications of the action will always result in misery. You are now at the "Full wipe and reinstall" phase of your lesson. You do not fix this any other way. And next time keep your hands off things you don't fully understand.
I know. I'm not a total newbie when it comes to computers. I am a programmer (mostly games) but when it comes to this type of stuff I guess I just don't know as much as I thought. Cause I could have sworn I've taking ownership of certain folders but never a whole drive. I made an idiotic decision and now I pay for it. So your scolding me was quite appropriate in this situation lol.

That being said. Seeing as how I already messed up before I'd like to not do that again going forward so maybe one of you could give me some advice on how to go forward. Do I get a Windows 10 ISO and use a tool like Rufus and put it on a USB drive and then format the drive? Or ..
See this is where I get confused because every guide I've come across online simply talks about taking the same exact steps that I've taken before with doing system restore from within windows. But from what I gather you guys are saying I need to make some sort of bootable USB drive. Can someone give me some idea of how I should go about doing this?

Again I thank you all for your help and time

Oct 20, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So I reset my PC.
If I were you, I'd have performed a system restore prior to installing the possible culprit app.

Looks like your OS is corrupt. Since 3 OS resets did no good, I'd make sure you've backed up all mission critical data off your (OS) drive.

Am I going to have to make a bootable USB and reformat everything?!
I think you should, but install the OS in offline mode, then install all drivers with the latest versions in an elevated command, then hook up to the internet to update the OS, not before that.
Thanks so much for the welcome and your reply! Means a lot to me that you took your time to at least respond. Thank you In my other reply you'll see that I mentioned that I I'm unsure of how to go about doing a complete reformat with a bootable USB. Also when you say install the OS in offline mode do you mean just making sure I'm not on the internet while it's installing? Why would being online be a bad thing? (Sincerely curious actually)

See this is where I get confused because every guide I've come across online simply talks about taking the same exact steps that I've taken before with doing system restore from within windows. But from what I gather you guys are saying I need to make some sort of bootable USB drive. Can someone give me some idea of how I should go about doing this?

Again I thank you all for your help and time
Everything you need to know is linked on this page. No third party software required

Solution
Oct 20, 2024
Oh one last question. Sorry. Why would this issue be happening even on my USB hard drive? It's not part of the system it's separate. But when I try to plug it in and open a file on the laptop with the issue it gives me the same errors if I were to try to open a file off the main hard drive. Hopefully that doesn't mean that somehow my files on my USB hard drive are all messed up because they are very important lol.

But when I try to plug it in and open a file on the laptop with the issue it gives me the same errors if I were to try to open a file off the main hard drive.
You can take ownership for your files on USB drive.
Again - don't do this on entire C: drive (or windows OS files/folders) or you'll have to reinstall.

Reactions: banelyxxx
Oct 20, 2024

TRENDING THREADS