Question Bizarre problems copying images from iphone to PC over usb

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Transferring from an iphone connected over usb to windows 10 has never exactly been smooth, but I'm having more trouble than usual. Trying to copy several gigs of images from the phone but I can't do it in one transfer, it'll fail and I'll have no idea where it stopped at, so I've been doing it folder by folder. The iphone (12-mini 16.1.1) seems to move the images to different folders internally, so when it does fail or disconnect, trying to pickup where it left off has been a pain. And now, it's not even copying correctly.

For instsance, if I copy over 20 files it'll say complete but the file sizes are off. Some will say 0 bytes. Others will actually be a duplicate of another image (IMG_5001 will be the same as IMG_5002) and I'll have to recopy IMG_5002 overwriting the previously copied file and then it'll be correct. So the data isn't corrupted on the iphone but its screwing up in the transfer and extremely frustrating.

Anyone have a solution or just an explanation as to why this is happening? I have rebooted the phone and so far copied over 40GB (yes i know, that's why im backing up all the pics so i can clean the phone up) but it's gotten to the point now that I'm not even sure if I got everything or not.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Yes there are several .mov files. But I think the issue is Windows (or possibly hardware). When I copy a single image over, the image immediately following it also gets overwritten with the same data. Name stays the same but it duplicates what I copy over. To test a theory, I copied an image to an empty folder on windows. Verified the image was good, then moved into the folder with the rest of my images and it still did the same thing, moving over AND overwriting one other image. This removes the iphone from the equation. The last time I saw weird data writes like this was on a failing HDD. The drive I'm using is an NVME, evo 980 1TB, I don't know if that's susceptible to the same odd corruption. My only other though is a memory issue.