Black colors wrong on ASUS ROG Swift

Renatar567

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Hi all,

Problem:
I had a suspicion that black colors, especially during gaming, were being displayed wrong on my new ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (bought a week ago). After connecting my old monitor again, I was proven right. Sometimes black colors appear grey and washed out, giving the image a look as if it is compressed. In fact, it looks like color banding sometimes, as if the color depth isn't high enough. However in other places the monitor has no problem showing many gradients of black. Sometimes you can see the grey color changing during a moving scene.

http://imgur.com/a/P960U
In this link there's two images demonstrating the issue. The first image shows the banding: the hallway should show a gradual darkening. The second image is quite weird: the grey part at the top SHOULD be uniform black, the same color as the drapes below.

What I tried:
First I tried all settings in the monitor itself, but nothing fixes the problem. Then I played around with settings in Nvidia Control Panel (I have a GTX 970), but that also did not change anything. Finally I tried looking at Windows color settings, but it as the image appears correct on my 1080p monitor, this can't be it, can it?

If any of you can help, that would be great.