Question Black Ops 3 still hammering my system :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2021
I hate to make another post about this but I'm at a loss again. For about 2 weeks I've been trying to play this game at 144fps consistently (for my system that is more than possible) but nothing I have done has fixed my issues. Periodically I will jump to 90 - 100% CPU usage and drop about 40-50 frames (I've included screenshots of afterburner's OSD). I'm happy for the game to use my CPU as much as it likes but the stuttering is horrible.
View: https://imgur.com/a/6pFgO9n
<- CPU usage spike and noticeable drop in FPS (The fps counter in the top right is a little faster than the OSD so it looks normal).
View: https://imgur.com/a/DqGZUxL
<- Usual usage when the game feels okay to play, feels like there is a microstutter but no noticeable drop in frames.
This seems to happen when I load in a new area on the map, after that point it becomes a little smoother, however the stutter never goes away. My temps are fine for both CPU and GPU as seen in the screenshots. This doesn't happen in any other game that I can tell so I'm not too worried about there being a hardware issue but I will try anything at this point to get it working.

Solutions I have tried:
  • Above normal and high CPU priority for the exe
  • Disabling core 0 for the game (in an attempt to only allow background and general windows processes to run on that core)
  • Removing my CPU and GPU overclock
  • Updating drivers (as of the screenshots I posted my GPU drivers are up to date)
  • Trying old versions of GPU driver (I tried everyone readily available on Nvidia's site, including the initial driver for the 3060ti)
  • Disabling fullscreen optimisation
  • Running the game in Windows 8/7 compatibility mode
  • Checked my drive health, all drives are fine (my windows drive is at 79% health but speeds seem fine)
  • Optimising Nvidia control panel settings (enabling high performance mode, enabling threaded optimisation and triple buffering)
  • All variants of in-game graphics settings (medium settings slightly improve fps but stuttering is still there, I should be able to run the game on max @1440p with my setup)
  • Upping the resolution in an attempt to make the game use more of my GPU
  • Changed the hidden settings in the games config (didn't find any that helped)
  • I have reinstalled windows twice
  • Reinstalled the game
  • Verified the files through steam
  • Running no other apps apart from the game (and afterburner for the OSD)
Specs:
i7 8700k @ 4/8Ghz
RTX 3060ti w/ +60mhz core & +900mhz on memory
Asus PRIME z370a-ii
Corsair RM650 PSU
16GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000mhz
1 x 240gb SSD (Windows drive), 1 x 2tb SSD (where the game is installed) & 1 x 7200rpm HDD

Note - my friend (who has the same GPU and CPU) also has issues running the game. Their issues are that they generally get about 80fps no matter what they do. Also another friend can run this game perfectly fine with a 3080 so I don't think it's the 3000 series cards, perhaps just the 3060ti. If someone with one of those could test this game I'd appreciate that.

EDIT - Should also probably mention that around mid last year was the last time I played the game. I played on a 2070 (since swapped out for my current GPU and sold so I cant try my old card) and the game was perfectly fine from what I remember. The only thing that has changed is the new GPU, my CPU overclock and my new SSD where the game is installed.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021
What bios number are you running, and is your chipset drivers up to date from support page? PRIME Z370-A II - Support (asus.com)
Turns out I didnt update my chipset drivers, I installed the newest version and it made the gameplay a little smoother but the big drops are still there.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cPfRUgg

As you can see CPU usage is still spiking with drops in performance. Also more of my RAM seems to be being used now, before it was around 8gb, now I'm seeing 9 in some areas of the map which is good so thank you for that.

Matt_O_J

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Ive had this problem ever since i upgraded my pc from a gtx 1650 - rtx 3060 and a ryzen 5 3600 - ryzen 5 5600x ive tried everything i can to try fix it but nothing im ive honestly just given up it sucks because i love playing custom zombies maps but this just makes it unenjoyable ill try my best to keep you updated if i find a fix but honestly i dont think i will.

Jul 24, 2021
Ive had this problem ever since i upgraded my pc from a gtx 1650 - rtx 3060 and a ryzen 5 3600 - ryzen 5 5600x ive tried everything i can to try fix it but nothing im ive honestly just given up it sucks because i love playing custom zombies maps but this just makes it unenjoyable ill try my best to keep you updated if i find a fix but honestly i dont think i will.
Perhaps it's a problem with the new 3000 series. Do you by any chance have your old 1650 laying around that you could test? Sadly I don't have another GPU.

Matt_O_J

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Perhaps it's a problem with the new 3000 series. Do you by any chance have your old 1650 laying around that you could test? Sadly I don't have another GPU.
sorry about my late response, sadly no i dont still own this card so i cant test it and i dont have any other gpus, i really want the game to work again but i just cant find anything what will work ive even tried moving the game onto a new ssd i bought on its own i also upgraded to 4 x 8 gn 3600mhz ram but still nothing. i dont think it is 3000 series cards though because ive seen a potst on reddit with someone with this issue and theyre running a 1060.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021
sorry about my late response, sadly no i dont still own this card so i cant test it and i dont have any other gpus, i really want the game to work again but i just cant find anything what will work ive even tried moving the game onto a new ssd i bought on its own i also upgraded to 4 x 8 gn 3600mhz ram but still nothing. i dont think it is 3000 series cards though because ive seen a potst on reddit with someone with this issue and theyre running a 1060.
Hmm, well i've since upgraded to a 9900k and it now maxes all 16 of my threads instead of all 12 of them haha, its just poorly optimized and I have no idea what could be causing it. Even on a fresh install of windows, having nothing but my GPU drivers it still runs poorly. I think I've given up. Its sad since its my favorite game of all time.

Matt_O_J

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Hmm, well i've since upgraded to a 9900k and it now maxes all 16 of my threads instead of all 12 of them haha, its just poorly optimized and I have no idea what could be causing it. Even on a fresh install of windows, having nothing but my GPU drivers it still runs poorly. I think I've given up. Its sad since its my favorite game of all time.
Well that really suck, best thing to do i guess is just wait for it to fix itself or deal with it but idk if it will fix itself. Maybe a driver update will fix it or windows or maybe if it gets enough notice treyarch may fix it but seems unlikely.

Jul 24, 2021
I
Well that really suck, best thing to do i guess is just wait for it to fix itself or deal with it but idk if it will fix itself. Maybe a driver update will fix it or windows or maybe if it gets enough notice treyarch may fix it but seems unlikely.
I submitted a support ticket and haven't gotten a reply in 2 weeks so I doubt Activision or treyarch care much about a 6 year old game. I'll post if I ever find a fix.

Reactions: Matt_O_J
Status
Not open for further replies.