[SOLVED] Black Screen after Advanced Startup used to Boot to Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2020
Sorry for the long post but I figure as much information as possible may be helpful and clear up some questions prior to them being asked. To start off, my computer was working perfectly fine and has not been showing signs of any issues. I restarted my pc normally about 30 minutes prior to this issue. No changes were made.

I used the method to reboot through Advanced Startup - Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
The next window was supposed to be boot options where I could press 4 or F4 to get to Safe Mode, prior to this I ran to grab something from the kitchen and came back to a black screen. Waited for approximately 5-10 minutes and still black screen. Monitor light was flashing on my main monitor (usually when there's no signal being received but properly connected), and second monitor was showing no signal (normal during restarts for 5 seconds tops or when no signal being sent).

At this point I felt that something was wrong as my system fully restarts in maybe 15 seconds under normal circumstances so I decided to hard boot my pc and try the process again. Upon restarting I not get my usual pre-windows post where I could normally reach my bios from during that time, instead it stayed black screen with both monitors in the same state as before.

After a few minutes of black screen, and my computer sounding very much idle, my next step was to force the windows restore feature to pop by holding the power button down on restart to simulate 3 failed restarts.

This also did nothing as my computer once again booted to black screen. I attempted this multiple times to no avail. (Edit: Also attempted a full power cycle from psu)

I attempted to enter bios even though my motherboards post windows screen wasn't being posted, by tapping my default key (Del button) and screen remained black.
PC is still turning on, everything appears to be running, fans spinning, lights on, no beeps from my motherboard signalling any issues.

Unsure of what my next step should be to fix this issue, did my failed restart to safe mode somehow corrupt my boot sector? If that was the case wouldn't I still be able to access my bios?

I'm kind of confused at this point, if anyone has some legit viable suggestions I'd be grateful. :/

Last edited:
Solution
Tested all my hardware, did swaps, cleaned and re-seated parts. The one option I knew I should of tried sooner, but thought the issue was too random for this to be the issue was one of the last ones I tried. Reset CMOS -.- problem solved.
Jul 6, 2020
Tested all my hardware, did swaps, cleaned and re-seated parts. The one option I knew I should of tried sooner, but thought the issue was too random for this to be the issue was one of the last ones I tried. Reset CMOS -.- problem solved.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.