Question Black Screen after BIOS update

Motherboard: ASUS B150 PRO GAMING/AURA (currently with i5 6500)
Reason for update: to support 7th gen CPU

Scenario:

Went through BIOS EZflash USB stick update way.
  • File loaded 100%
  • system rebooted
  • I missed? the chance to get into bios as the splash screen came up. Pressed DEL button, but it didn't seem to register? possibly keyboard wasn't active yet? anyway...
  • writing came up saying something about finalizing bios? I didn't get to read the whole thing
  • followed by black screen
I have tried

• Removing motherboard battery for 15 minutes
  • clearing CMOS by jumper
  • using motherboard HDMI port
  • removing 1 ram, and trying different combinations between the two sticks and ram slots
I noticed the following

motherboard has an LED checklist it would appear, on top right.

CPU_LED >>> Lights up and goes onto DRAM without issues
DRAM_LED >>> sometimes it gets stuck on this light, and stays lit. Other times it lights and turns off, but the VGA light does not go on
VGA_LED >>> Have not seen it light up
BOOT_DEVICE_LED

Any ideas? Or did I just end this motherboard?

how long did you wait while the monitor went black after finalizing BIOS?
which other hardware is installed to the motherboard? GPU inserted?
Which BIOS version was installed from the stick?

try updating again (blind) with the stick and the latest BIOS version, rename it to B5PGA.CAP and boot your motherboard, it should update itself, so wait for at least 15minutes to be sure it has finished the update. Usually you can see if something is going on while the USB flash drive is blinking

Last edited:
how long did you wait while the monitor went black after finalizing BIOS?
which other hardware is installed to the motherboard? GPU inserted?
Which BIOS version was installed from the stick?

try updating again (blind) with the stick and the latest BIOS version, rename it to B5PGA.CAP and boot your motherboard, it should update itself, so wait for at least 15minutes to be sure it has finished the update. Usually you can see if something is going on while the USB flash drive is blinking

1. waited about 30-35 minutes before attempting troubleshooting.
i5-6500
asus b150 pro gaming/aura
1x G.Skill F4-2133c15D ram (I have another but it is out right now because I was trying to rule things out)
RX580
1 mechanical HDD
1 NVME
Rosewill 650w
3. I went with the latest bios which were Version 3805

I have also tried to pull the GPU and start it up like that as well, no good.
does the B5PGA.CAP file install itself automatically?

have you tried putting back the older cpu to see if it would still work?

I am still using old CPU, I needed it to do the BIOS update. Although I have been thinking of slapping in the replacement just to see if the current hardware got locked out, but I think I should still get past the DRAM self check, CPU self check seems okay.

yes, it will open up the ezflash utility automatically. The crashfree BIOS 3 feature can work in certain circumstances
I renamed the BIOS file to what you had suggested. The stick as well (without .CAP of course). I plugged it into a usb port and start up the PC, It showed a read LED for a split second and I didn't see it working. Is there a certain procedure I need to do? I tried googling for a few minutes, but didn't find a directive for it.

did you unplug the motherboard from the wall while clearing the CMOS?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsJC5mxFW_U

if yes try:
remove everything unnecessary to power the motherboard.
only plug in the CPU, cooler with fan, power supply, one RAM in Dimm Slot A_2, monitor to motherboard

I did all of that, yes.

I took the ram from the PC and tried it in a b250 motherboard. PC would start but not into windows, I was able to get into the BIOS, similar situation, only 2 QLED lit, I'm not sure which they are on this board . (You may want to ask why I didn't do this before... I had picked up the motherboard with ram for another PC project and/or worst case scenario if I need it, I didn't have it available before for testing). Now, the problem is that swapped out the motherboard. I should've bread boarded it.
Although this one has video output, it may be too early to be happy, but it could be a start. I checked compatibility of Ram with the b150 board, it shows that it supports the 32g kit, but I have a 16gb kit and it is not on the list, same part number but one end in 16gb and the other in 32gb.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS