Black screen after boot up on Linux mint 17.3

WILLIE974

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

Hi I'm running Linux mint 17.3 i did an update after I did all was all OK until I rebooted my laptop and now after I boot up all goes OK then it goes in to a black screen and I see the pointer but nothing more how can I fix this

Solution
i bet you are still booting to either your USB or DVD drive, despite having taken it out of your computer. Go into BIOS and make sure you are booting from your C drive (or whatever drive you installed your Linux Mint OS).

Let me know if this helped.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
This happened to me every time I've installed Mint on my machine. Installs, then black screen with cursor after reboot. I swear I created a thread here documenting what I did to fix it, but I cannot seem to find it. It was either deleted, or I'm crazy and I never actually did it.

Anyway, my problem was that GRUB didn't install or update at the end of the install. So I had to boot with the live disk again, then install it. It wasn't too bad. Check this out, see if it helps:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
and I see the pointer but nothing more
If you mean the cursor that can still be moved with the mouse, then you can update grub by logging into a terminal prompt by hitting ctrl+alt+f1 then log into it with your credentials, then issue the command sudo update-grub then when it completes you can shut down with the command sudo shutdown -h now then when you turn it back on, all should be normal.

Gordon Clark

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
i bet you are still booting to either your USB or DVD drive, despite having taken it out of your computer. Go into BIOS and make sure you are booting from your C drive (or whatever drive you installed your Linux Mint OS).

Let me know if this helped.

Solution