Question Black screen after CPU upgrade

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All.

I’m building a budget PC for my brother from an old base unit I had and some second hand parts. It'll mainly be for browsing, kids school work, etc. No heavy gaming of any description.

I wanted to make it a bit faster for him so I have upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, which went fine. The problem is with the CPU upgrade.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV with a LGA 1155 socket. It originally had an Intel Pentium G840 CPU installed, and I bought a i5-2500 to replace it. With the i5-2500 installed the PC does boot but there is no display, just a black screen. I’m pretty sure there is signal as the monitor would say ‘no signal’ otherwise. The other thing I’ve noticed is the PWM extraction fan I put in seems to slow down and speed up with the i5-2500, it’s not running at at constant speed as it was with the G840 (wasn’t sure if that info was worth noting).

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong and how to rectify it please? The i5-2500 was second hand btw. I'm wondering if it could be an integrated graphics incompatibility issue or the i5-2500 is shot. I've updated Windows, Bios and drivers, can't think of what else to do.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Was the G840 an Intel HD GPU integrated whereas the i5-2500 has none ? (NVM specs. show intel HD-2000)
Always check board Revisions, even if doing Bios Update, does not guarantee CPU support. Your case Rev 2.0 is required.
Do you get any beeps ? Tried to hold down button for straight to bios boot ?
Do you need to change jumper switches to modify FSB ? (careful on this, don't do unless sure, check with MB manual)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PAULO40
Hi All.

I’m building a budget PC for my brother from an old base unit I had and some second hand parts. It'll mainly be for browsing, kids school work, etc. No heavy gaming of any description.

I wanted to make it a bit faster for him so I have upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, which went fine. The problem is with the CPU upgrade.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV with a LGA 1155 socket. It originally had an Intel Pentium G840 CPU installed, and I bought a i5-2500 to replace it. With the i5-2500 installed the PC does boot but there is no display, just a black screen. I’m pretty sure there is signal as the monitor would say ‘no signal’ otherwise. The other thing I’ve noticed is the PWM extraction fan I put in seems to slow down and speed up with the i5-2500, it’s not running at at constant speed as it was with the G840 (wasn’t sure if that info was worth noting).

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong and how to rectify it please? The i5-2500 was second hand btw. I'm wondering if it could be an integrated graphics incompatibility issue or the i5-2500 is shot. I've updated Windows, Bios and drivers, can't think of what else to do.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try getting your hands on a pci-e video card and inseer it into the mobo, if it displays anything on the screen, quickly reboot and go into the bios.

Once there look for a setting for igpu, it should be on pci-e, but toggle it to igpu and see if the cpu will initiate onboard graphics.
If it does not do this and think it will, your best bet is try a different cpu probably a i7 2600k from a reputable place.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2600K-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B004FA8NOQ

Reactions: PAULO40

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Many thanks for the response.

Pretty sure that the CPU is in fact toast, tried it in my mates PC who runs an i5 CPU (can’t actually remember which variant, but know he has a 1155 socket on his motherboard), and his PC wouldn’t boot either.

I managed to pick up an i3-3240 CPU really cheap, and PC booted straight away. Luckily the i5-2500 only cost me, well my brother in fact as he’s paying for it, £10 so not a huge loss for him.