Question Black screen after installing AMD GPU driver ?

Dec 14, 2020
Hi,
To tell so some background I never had problem with the AMD Drivers. So yesterday as I was playing Art of Rally and things went smoothly for 10 minutes then suddenly my pc hanged and I got the black screen and stuttering audio. This has never happened before.

Since PC was not responding I did the forced shutdown by holding the Power button. After the restart I got the windows logo and then black screen. It is working perfectly in Safe Mode. So I uninstalled the AMD drivers from the Safe mode and PC booted normally. I also disabled the Windows AMD driver update so it won’t update automatically. Then I ran the DDU for full removal of the driver and installed the new drivers from AMD. Now as soon as the screen blinks on new driver installation it goes to black screen. I have repeated this process number of times of removing the driver using the DDU and installing the AMD driver but as soon the screen blinks at the installation it goes to black.

The PC is working correctly without the graphics card and booting normally on the integrated graphics. So I am pretty sure that it has to something with the card only, but to be sure I did reset the Windows 10 using the reset option. Still as soon as I install the AMD driver, the screen goes black.

Hence I am not able to detect the issue precisely, some of the Hardware info is as:

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x

I have tried both latest AMD optional drivers and stable drivers.

Looking forward for your guys help. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2020
hey there, i do almost have the identical since yesterday... i don't know if there was an automatic driver update from windows... i do have tried to clean the driver with DDU, also tried then to manually reinstall the latest driver from AMD, on the first try i caught up in a bluescreen... after reboot windows won't even boot as it complained that some amdf-something.sys was missing... then i had to create an windows 10 install usb drive to get ah repair command prompt, because not even one of the savemodes was booting... after manually removing the all the AMD drivers with DISM command, i could start again and clean up again with DDU, i did another try with the driver and this time it went smoothly, also did a reboot after driver installation and played for almost 4h nonstop...

today a started the pc again, and gues what it won't boot again.. black screen... so back to safemode and DDU cleaning the driver... after that same story short, reinstalled latest driver, rebooted and instantly got again the black screen, ddu again, now i'm currently writting this and my next step is to install the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 driver... because i hope this one was also the last with the old interface, as i had many Eyefinity issues too since adrenalin 2020 GUI, spanning the screens to virtually one didn't worked anymore as before with the <Mod Edit> new drivers and interface...

btw. i'm on ah R9 295x2 .... if its not an driver issue, looks like AMD triggert some remote killswitch to break old cards and turn on sales for its new RX6000series

edit: and btw i disabled automatic driver update in windows too now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2020
btw. i'm on ah R9 295x2 .... if its not an driver issue, looks like AMD triggert some remote killswitch to break old cards and turn on sales for its new RX6000series

edit: and btw i disabled automatic driver update in windows too now!

lol you might be right they might have activated the kill switch.

Nevertheless its already time to build new system, but if the cards work I can keep the system for 2 or more months till this shortage madness subsides.

Do share if you are to resolve your issue.

Jan 13, 2021
lol you might be right they might have activated the kill switch.

Nevertheless its already time to build new system, but if the cards work I can keep the system for 2 or more months till this shortage madness subsides.

Do share if you are to resolve your issue.
Have you resolved it?
Same thing here on a Vega 8 system. Not happening on my Fury X system.

V4SO_

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Sadly no zozo. I am still facing the same issue. Now I have completely removed the graphics card from the PC. Looks like I have to take it to a hardware shop.
Same problem here with AMD Radeon 7650M. Installing it through Device Manager, doesn't work. even windows update doesn't work. Im thinking it's a motherboard issue since I'm on a Laptop