Black Screen After Motherboard Logo

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015
I had a previous post that I would get a black screen with an underscore after the mobo logo with my new graphics card, I kinda fixed the underscore by plugging in two molex adapters in one 6 pin, but now I am getting just a plain black screen, and I cant enter the bios for some reason though i can restart the pc by doing alt+shift+delete so I guess the PC isnt stuck. (Note: Something is weird when I plug in the new card, when the motherboard logo comes on it stays like that for a good minute, usually it is an instant transmision to the windows loading.)

What I tried:
Pluggin the molex adapters to different sources (result: the same)
Removed my RAM etc... (result: the same)
Plugged out everything except the keyboard and the monitor (result: the same)
I have tried some other things but I cant really remember what :ange:

Can it be a driver conflict or something, I have drivers for an AMD card installed...

And another question:
Can I actually set up on msconfig to go to safe mode when starting the PC since after the logo i cant enter it manually?? Is it worth a try?

Specs:
Motherboard: h61m-s1
Processor: Pentium G850
RAM:4Gb Kingston something, something...
GPU:
Old GPU: Radeon HD 3850
New GPU: GTX 750Ti
PSU:It is 400watts I have no idea but that, it doesnt say anything on it unless I completelly take it out, a handyman replaced my old one wiith this one saying its stronger but I didnt get any more info on it (knew less back than than I did now about PC parts so I didnt even bother to ask)
And indeed it does look like an older one, I am yet to test the GPU on another system but I really doubt it is a faulty card :/

Solution
Computer spec please, especially the GPU and PSU.

Using a molex to 6-pin adapter is a worse case scenario. Odds are that if your PSU doesn't have the proper connectors on it, it's not made to handle the load you are putting on it. Changing from 1 molex connector to another wont change the PSU's inability to supply proper wattage.

If you have a nVidia GPU but AMD drivers, you will get a distorted image, but it shouldn't prevent the computer from starting. Especially not prevent you from getting to the BIOS.
Computer spec please, especially the GPU and PSU.

Using a molex to 6-pin adapter is a worse case scenario. Odds are that if your PSU doesn't have the proper connectors on it, it's not made to handle the load you are putting on it. Changing from 1 molex connector to another wont change the PSU's inability to supply proper wattage.

If you have a nVidia GPU but AMD drivers, you will get a distorted image, but it shouldn't prevent the computer from starting. Especially not prevent you from getting to the BIOS.

Solution

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Hi, it would be nice to know what all your hardware is. if your description is correct you are using an older power supply. So whatever new GPU you have I wonder if you have proper PSU for it as you are using molex adapters and not the proper 6-Pin PCIe to 8-Pin PCIe Adapter Power Cable.

Update: Martell1977 beat me to it as I am a slow typer :)

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015

I eddited the Specs on the post :)

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015

Specs in post just edited it :)

I suggest getting a better quality PSU. One from Seasonic or EVGA with about 550 watts (This wattage leaves you room for future upgrades) and at least 80+ bronze certification.

The odds are that that PSU is junk and possibly a fire hazard. The 750ti doesn't take much, but the PSU not having the right connection is a good indication that that PSU shouldn't be used...in anything. If it was running that 3850, I will admit that I'm surprised it did burn out.

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015

A friend has a 550watt PSU so I will try it there, if you wish I can post you a pic of the inside of the PC to see the cables etc since I dont know what you are talking about :) . But when it comes to PSU I am very limited about the price range, something like this I would probably be able to buy 650W Zeus, ZUS-650, 12cm it is not bronze though, but it has 650watts, and connectors 1x 20+4pin, 1x 4pin, 1x 6pin PCI-E, 3x Sata, 1x Molex

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015

Since I am from Serbia no known retailers will be know to you, when it comes to the budget I really dont have one I could go to 50$ but sadly thats all I can spend on a PSU :( ... For a bigger budget It would take lots of time to actually increase it, at least till the end of september :/

Ok, that being the case, you can get a smaller wattage, like 450, it doesn't leave too much room for an upgrade, but will be better. Try to get at least a 80+ White certified PSU with all the needed connections. The 80+ cert isn't meant to be a quality indicator, but in your case, it at least implies a better unit that doesn't have it.

It doesn't have to be an expensive unit, but of decent quality.

Uterdar

Honorable
Aug 13, 2015

I can probably get this but it would take me a while to do so: http://www.njoy.ro/PSU/titan500#overview
I really dont want to spend money on this if the problem isnt the PSU, I hope I can test it on another system to see if it is the cards fault or my systems.

The "PSU Tier list" is gone, no point in linking it.

Definitely test it, but if you end up buying a PSU, that one looks decent. I can't speak directly to the quality as I'm unfamiliar with the brand, but it's better than the others.

Apparently it was removed last May.

I usually recommend Seasonic, EVGA, XFX power supplies. But as I said those tend to be very expensive in Europe. The market is flooded with cheap Corsair power supplies. Corsairs TX and above are pretty good power supplies.

The Corsair CX series was reworked and the CXM models are of decent quality now. They are fairly cheap, but the build quality is much better than before. Just have to make sure when recommending a CXM PSU that it's a 2016 or newer model.