[SOLVED] Black screen after new gpu, no integrated graphics

Oct 7, 2018
Hello, I recently upgraded to a gtx 1050 gpu but when i turn it on there is just a black screen, the no signal indicator on the monitor went away so it should be connected. Ive seen people say that disconnect the gpu, use integrated graphics to run windows and then disable integrated graphics, but my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics.

Thanks for any help

Solution
Ok, try resetting the CMOS battery.
1. Unplug the computer. Then press the power button.
2. Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.
3. With the battery removed, plug it back in and turn it on.
4. If you get a POST, then faulty settings were probably to blame.
5. Then just power everything back down and pop the battery back in.
Oct 7, 2018

Motherboard : Asus M5A99X Evo
Cpu: Amd FX 8320 8 core
brand: msi
PSU: Chieftec 700A8 700w
RAM: 2 4gb HyperX Kingstons

(nice specs)
Alright, so we can rule out Power, memory and motherboard/processor incompatibility. You'd be surprised at the number of people running powerful graphics cards on old computers.

So I'd say: Take out the graphics card, then going into Windows using the integrated graphics (yes your motherboard has them), check for the latest BIOS updates. Also, it is important to note that many graphics cards don't like to work if the integrated graphics are enabled. So you will want to go to the MSI page, RTFM, and find where the integrated graphics options are, and get them set to either 'PCI-e first' or 'Auto'

Hmm I see, OK. Did some research. I've never owned AMD motherboards (Forgive me) so I didn't know they required a graphics card. Okay, so if your graphics card isn't working, I would return it and try a different one.

EDIT: Oh right, both aren't working. Okay, do you have another PCI-e slot you can try?

Oct 7, 2018

I tried my other pci-e x16 slot but still nothing. So if there is no integrated graphics then what else could be the problem?

Oct 7, 2018

I have to hold it down for about 3 seconds.

djdanrt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Do the cards require power from the power supply? If so is it plugged in? Also what connector are you using to connect the card to the display and what make display? I assume you tried changing the input on the display to the correct source in case auto sense doesn't sense it as well as turning the display off and back on.

Oct 7, 2018

Plugged it into my tv via hdmi but that didn't show anything either

Ok, try resetting the CMOS battery.
1. Unplug the computer. Then press the power button.
2. Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.
3. With the battery removed, plug it back in and turn it on.
4. If you get a POST, then faulty settings were probably to blame.
5. Then just power everything back down and pop the battery back in.

Solution
Oct 7, 2018

Hey thanks for the help dude, already fixed it though. (cpu wasn't properly put in lol, i had just changed the case as well) but thanks anyway