[SOLVED] Black screen after playing for a while.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
I can play for about 10 min and then my screen goes black while the audio continues it then throws an error and windows comes back up. It sometimes throws an error about "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access." or "Graphics card removed/gpu driver crashed".
Specs:
17-6700k
16gb ram
msi z170a mobo
vega 56 (crashes OCed and stock)
EVGA 600B 600w psu

i have tried a windows clean install and a driver rollback

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Go into the BIOS, like hardware or PC monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V, you want to see these voltages are within +/- 5%, like +3.3V, it should be about +3.1V to +3.45V. If they are not within +/-5%. The PSU has problem.

Try other gpu, if you had extra one, or onboard iGPU.

Test the vega 56 in other PC, if you can.

And keep in mind, one of the error related to either the GPU or PSU, because you did try to clean reinstall the OS, so the driver maybe not have problem.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
The B version PSU is not good enough for the vega 56. You may try to use the MSI afterburner, then set the GPU power limit lower, something like around 70% down from 100%, or even lower until you can play the games.
Even at -40% power and undervolted i still crash. could my psu still be the problem? it was working fine at one point. im not sure what changed

Go into the BIOS, like hardware or PC monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V, you want to see these voltages are within +/- 5%, like +3.3V, it should be about +3.1V to +3.45V. If they are not within +/-5%. The PSU has problem.

And keep in mind, one of the error related to either the GPU or PSU, because you did try to clean reinstall the OS, so the driver maybe not have problem.

Solution

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018

The 5v and 12v were within 5% and i could not find the 3.3v sensor